Staying Indpendent or moving to American National

IndependentScott

I am here in SD. 5 years of experience. I am a 1099 employee that works under and Independent Agency. It recently got sold along with my book of business and my non compete is void. I have the option to move with the new agency owner and continue to grow my book. However with my non compete going away, I have been checking to see what is out there. Have a friend that is a American National ( CAPTIVE) agent and wants me to come over. They have a pretty decent commission structure and with my current book it could be a good thing. I'm just not sold on captive. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Personally, having started my career as captive and being independent for 23 years now, if you can make it as an independent agent, I'd go that route. I realize the product which you'd be selling can have an impact on that decision as well. I don't really know the P&C market (if that's the market you work). It's my understanding that getting contracts with various carriers can be somewhat of a challenge when you're new. But I stand by my initial statement, if you can make it work as an independent, that's the way to go. And by independent, I mean not a 1099 employee of an independent agency. Start your own agency (assuming again this is P&C).

As a captive, you have one arrow in your quiver. And if that arrow is a lot more expensive than your competitors arrow, it makes it difficult. As an independent, you will have many arrows in your quiver.

Back