Tech question: Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot

Duaine

Guru
1000 Post Club
I’m looking for a Portable, secure, Wi-Fi Hotspot to use with my P.C. when processing apps in out-of-office locations.

My cell carrier is AT&T but would like to be able to jump on any Wi-Fi signal. Also need an affordable rate plan for data usage.

Any ideas or personal use ideas or tips?

Tks.

I’m looking for a Portable, secure, Wi-Fi Hotspot to use with my P.C. when processing apps in out-of-office locations.

My cell carrier is AT&T but would like to be able to jump on any Wi-Fi signal. Also need an affordable rate plan for data usage.

Tks.
I just use my iPhone as a personal hotspot. I don’t use it very often, but it works great when I do. (I’m only connecting my iPad to it, though. I don’t know whether it might be different if connecting a PC.)

Tks.
I have AT&T for cell service and I use my phone as a Hotspot for my laptops. Works great.

A mobile hotspot is not inherently safe. Quite the opposite, in fact. It can be hacked either at the point where it connects to the internet or the point where it connects to any tethered device. Others can see what you're up to and, in certain circumstances, may even be able to take over your entire network.

A mobile hotspot is not inherently safe. Quite the opposite, in fact. It can be hacked either at the point where it connects to the internet or the point where it connects to any tethered device. Others can see what you're up to and, in certain circumstances, may even be able to take over your entire network.

I’m pretty sure you need a code to connect to your hotspot. Not anyone can just hit connect and connect to it.

I've used a Jetpack Mifi purchased through Verizon for years. It's a dedicated hotspot and about the size of a mobile phone. The main advantage over just using my phone is that it doesn't run my phone battery down. I make sure it's fully charged each day before going out, and I simply turn it on as I'm walking in to an appointment. That's it. I put it back into my laptop case (still on), and by the time I sit down and open my laptop I have internet. When I turn leave the appointment I turn it off (unless I'm going immediately to another appointment close by). It has all of the normal security of a password, etc. plus it tells me whenever anyone connects to it, including myself. I've never, in seven years, had anyone else connect to it.

And how is this answering the asked question?

Tks.
I tried using my phone for a hotspot, and it didn't work very well, so I bought a tablet with a sim card and added another line to my phone plan.

Back