Tech question: Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot

It’s usually pretty safe to use public Wi-Fi for non-sensitive activities—especially if it’s password-protected. But there’s always a risk an attacker might use tactics like packet sniffing or man-in-the-middle attacks to steal your data, so it’s better to avoid:

Filling out applications
Online or mobile banking
Shopping
Logging into accounts
Sending or receiving sensitive emails
Downloading files or apps

Last edited:
It’s usually pretty safe to use public Wi-Fi for non-sensitive activities—especially if it’s password-protected. But there’s always a risk an attacker might use tactics like packet sniffing or man-in-the-middle attacks to steal your data, so it’s better to avoid:

Filling out applications
Online or mobile banking
Shopping
Logging into accounts
Sending or receiving sensitive emails
Downloading files or apps

Again, using a public WiFi is completely different than using your own hotspot as people are mentioning here.

I used to use Verizon Jetpack but on these East TN mountains there were a lot of places I could not get a connection. There are places I can't get a connection with my phone but not as many as with the Jetpack.
I used a Verizon Mi-Fi dongle on my laptop all the years I was working out in the field. That thing got a solid 4G connection in areas where even my GPS wouldn't work. But this was rural Texas & Oklahoma - didn't really have to worry about mountains. :spinny:

I tried using my phone for a hotspot, and it didn't work very well, so I bought a tablet with a sim card and added another line to my phone plan.
To be honest, my iPad is cellular enabled. Like you, I pay for the extra line. However, since I don’t usually need much data, I just have the lowest rate plan available for it. Occasionally I go over the allotted data amount, so it gets throttled. That’s when I connect to my phone.

I’ve never been comfortable asking to use a client’s bathroom. I guess I feel the same way about their WiFi.
Same. For me, though, a bigger issue was that half the time the client didn't remember their own password. I just prefer the convenience of an on/off button that works better than my phone.

Back