The Best Article on Health Insurance Under the ACA

Which calculator did you use Yagents and if was the Berkeley, did they update it?

I use berkeley, or Kaiser, or coveredca.com

But, the calculators show you the % of income / dollar amount you will be paying, which doesn't matter until you compare it to the actual premiums for the silver plan in the exchanges. Your age, location, income and plan choices available will dictate whether you get subsidies or not.

In my example above, Berkeley states client will pay $277/mo as a % of income, but the $250 premium is lower.
No soup for you! :no:

However, he basically says that since the subsidies are rich, and the plans are much richer, the premium shock is OK.

I have read some of his stuff before. He and Ezra Klein pretty much follow the same path and espouse the left wing talking points and defy logic.

I have read some of his stuff before. He and Ezra Klein pretty much follow the same path and espouse the left wing talking points and defy logic.

My sentiments exactly. If you don't fit the mold you do not work/write for the NY Times.

Those "richer benefits" that the left is touting are broad conceptual benefits that affect few people, like unlimited maximums on essential health benefits, added maternity, etc. The benefit structure that affects most people (copays, deductibles, out-of-pocket max) has deteriorated under these new plans in comparison to what is currently marketed.

I agree that the Bronze plan will be the biggest seller in the exchange except for folks with chronic medical conditions, and those getting cost reduction subsidies who must select the Silver plan.

It's ironic that co-pays went from "almost nothing" to "substantial" (and almost as much as a visit under an HSA). Why is that ironic?

Because a policy would cost less every month, yet not have much more of a per-visit cost to the doctor, if HSA plans were embraced instead of shunned.

Back