The Perils of Air BnB

marindependent

Guru
1000 Post Club
This is a surprisingly good article/video from a local Bay Area TV station about "promised protections for those renting their homes" with AirBnB.

According to the article: "AirCover includes $3 million worth of damage protection, $1 million in liability insurance, and a 24-hour safety line for emergencies." Yet - there is so many issues, gaps, and challenges with this. The article totally failes to get into the gaps between AirBnB cover and property insurance.

In one instance, a host "found out a convicted felon, Nicole Bell, had been running her daycare from her short-term rental in Oakland,"

In another situation: "a San Francisco family was displaced after an Airbnb guest clogged the toilet with fecal matter and baby wipes, causing major flooding....The guests had booked a one-month stay and checked out two days early, leaving water filling the home for more than 15 hours." The Result "She said they’re now $300,000 short in the cost of repairs, her continued mortgage payment despite being displaced, storage for their belongings, damaged appliances, mold testing, demolition, insurance deductibles, and lost revenue from canceled future bookings." Then ""Every time I bring them something back they say ‘Oh that’s not covered,’" Gemzer said, adding that she’s exchanged nearly 150 emails with Airbnb. "

What I found most surprising about this "we tried to send a third-party investigator to review the damage, but the Host declined, stating that her homeowner's insurance company was supporting her with the damage as well as temporary accommodation," Really? The article does not ask the pertinent question about this: Did the insured tell the insurer that this was caused by an Air BnB rental? I mean does the Claims rep watch KTVU?

A final warning in the article: ""This is not real. This is marketing. This is not a real policy. You’re not really covered. You’re certainly not covered top to bottom," she said." I really wish Insurance Journal would consider picking up where this article left off.

$300K in Damages: AibBnB Under Fire from KTVU

Thoughts?

Every AirBnB Hosts nightmare here! Just one rental away from financial disaster. I wouldn't want to rely on this policy.

For those who want the policy details:
"The Host Damage Protection is not an insurance policy. To the extent youdesire protectionbeyond the Host Damage Protection, Airbnb strongly encourages you to purchase insurance that will cover you and your.property forlosses caused by Guests or Guests’ invitees in the event yourloss is not within the terms of the Host Damage Protection."

Additionally: "These Host Damage Protection Terms are not intended to constitute an offer to insure, do not constitute insurance or an insurance contract, and do not take the place of insurance obtained or obtainable by you. Furthermore, these Host Damage Protection Terms are not an insurance service agreement as defined in a standard ISO renter’s or homeowner’s insurance policy"

"For all Covered Property (other than that described in paragraphs 1, 2, and 3 above), the loss amount will be the lesser of (i) the Actual Cash Value; (ii) the cost to repair such damaged Covered Property; (iii) the cost to rebuild or replace such Covered Property on the same site with new materials of like size, kind, and quality; (iv) the cost to rebuild, repair, or replace on the same or another site, but not to exceed the size and operating capacity that existed on the date of the Covered Loss;"

Last edited:
Wow. Not gonna get elected as commissioner with that campaign message. I can see your political signs now. "Vote for me. I think people suck"

Ladies and Gentlemen, case and point, Allen Trent. He doesn't want you to get your free ACV homeowners insurance. (Free meaning paid by the tax payers of course)

It is very apparent that the people who don't want the excellent benefits I'm going to create for you, suck.

Ladies and Gentlemen, case and point, Allen Trent. He doesn't want you to get your free ACV homeowners insurance. (Free meaning paid by the tax payers of course)

It is very apparent that the people who don't want the excellent benefits I'm going to create for you, suck.

I take back my criticism. I see now that you can indeed tell people they suck if you are promising free stuff. See attachments for proof every 2 or 4 years since 1930s at election time

Back