This Is My First Post -please Be Gentle

RBA, you hit it on the head...cross selling and REFERRALS are the name of the game. A referral is better than a hot lead any day in my opinion.

Wiith 2 of the autos policies I sold, I am going to be getting their homeowners as well...and one life...

Thanks, "Dude." ;)

Way to go Chickie! :D:):laugh::D

I was somewhat like you....my job was not the least bit boring, but I was fed up making big bucks for someone else to take home and live high on the hog from. So I went for it. I was scared to death but that fear drove me to success and I have never had any problem selling 20-30 policies a month even in the beginning. I'm now 2 years into it and just opened my own agency.

Even if you can write 20-30-40 policies a month don't forget about the reversals you will inevitably see coming out of your commission check along with the other expenses that someone else above mentioned.

Being independent has its definite advantages but don't forget that they don't give you any marketing money *until you start hitting their sale quotas and that's a long way off for a newbie*. Captive agencies give you $$ to start off (but there are negatives about that as well...most of them require some sort of payback).

Also, if you have never sold P&C and still need trained, I would get the training and a few sales under your belt before you take that big of a leap (more like a dive). For one, each carrier has different ways that they do things. There's A LOT (I cannot stress that enough) to learn. And how are you going to get appointed with these carriers? There's a cost to each one, not to mention having to carry your own E&O which can also be expensive.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Re: UPDATE! This Is My First Post -please Be Gentle

Just bring you up to speed. I decided to leave my full-time job with great benefits, perks, etc. to work as an IA full-time.

I gave my notice a few days after I made the original post. In the past week, AFTER work, I have managed to sell 4 auto policies, 1 homeowners and 1 commercial livery policy! I love it!

I AM SO PUMPED UP...Just saved a woman $714.02 per year in auto insurance. She will be paying the same for a whole year that she USED TO PAY for just six months. I also saved a limo driver over $4,000 in annual premium! It makes me feel so great to hear relief in their voices!!!

Feels good to be out on my own again. I have one more week at the full-time job and then I am on the loose!

DEGRI

Sounds great! Good luck and God bless you!

ARNGUY, et al...

THANK YOU FOR HAVING BEEN GENTLE WITH ME! :yes:

DEGRI, I think you should thank everyone for being gentle with you!:biggrin:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hello, Moneymaker:

Thank you for your post.

I've already made the "dive." Right now, I can survive until the end of February 2012 if I don't make one cent. So, if need be, I will get a "job," if, in a few months, I am not where I need to be in terms of monthly "take home." Personally, I feel that baptism by fire and having to make it or break it, propels me to move forward with blindes on.

As for getting appointed with P&C agencies, I am working under another broker on the P&C side. I have both personal and commercial CSRs at the office who help me along with the paperwork needed to submit a case. Being a seasoned life, health, accident broker, I am aware of chargebacks...I hate them, like anyone else, but don't worry about them too much.

The broker I am working with does the advertising, and I belong to several local networking groups and get business by referrals.

Lastly, re: E & O. I am covered under the agency's E&O for the P&C side, and I carry my own E&O for health and life.

I am confident that I will succeed.
biggrin.gif

Dee

Originally Posted by moneymaker1
I was somewhat like you....my job was not the least bit boring, but I was fed up making big bucks for someone else to take home and live high on the hog from. So I went for it. I was scared to death but that fear drove me to success and I have never had any problem selling 20-30 policies a month even in the beginning. I'm now 2 years into it and just opened my own agency.​

Even if you can write 20-30-40 policies a month don't forget about the reversals you will inevitably see coming out of your commission check along with the other expenses that someone else above mentioned.​

Being independent has its definite advantages but don't forget that they don't give you any marketing money *until you start hitting their sale quotas and that's a long way off for a newbie*. Captive agencies give you $$ to start off (but there are negatives about that as well...most of them require some sort of payback).​

Also, if you have never sold P&C and still need trained, I would get the training and a few sales under your belt before you take that big of a leap (more like a dive). For one, each carrier has different ways that they do things. There's A LOT (I cannot stress that enough) to learn. And how are you going to get appointed with these carriers? There's a cost to each one, not to mention having to carry your own E&O which can also be expensive.​

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.​

Last edited:
Back