To be successful in selling life insurance

I think it is important to have excellent social skills and an extrovert personality. Where I messed up was taking the job with my poor social skills. I was always nervous around people before, so in hindsight I don’t know why I thought it was a good idea to take the job. To me, it seems counterproductive for introverted personalities to attempt this business. Experience with public speaking would likely also benefit a prospective individual considering getting into life insurance Sales. When I gave up, I had to look at myself and evaluate whether my skills were sufficient, and they were not. I rushed into it without thinking when I got the call for the interview. Now in hindsight, I realize I probably shouldn’t have taken it to start with. I have now turned the suit and tie in and am replacing it with steel toes and gloves. Going back to a steel plant.

That is absolutely incorrect info. It may or may not be for you. But introverts do great in one on one sales. I am proof of that. And I’ve seen many other examples.

I think it is important to have excellent social skills and an extrovert personality. Where I messed up was taking the job with my poor social skills. I was always nervous around people before, so in hindsight I don’t know why I thought it was a good idea to take the job. To me, it seems counterproductive for introverted personalities to attempt this business. Experience with public speaking would likely also benefit a prospective individual considering getting into life insurance Sales. When I gave up, I had to look at myself and evaluate whether my skills were sufficient, and they were not. I rushed into it without thinking when I got the call for the interview. Now in hindsight, I realize I probably shouldn’t have taken it to start with. I have now turned the suit and tie in and am replacing it with steel toes and gloves. Going back to a steel plant.

Being an introvert isn’t the reason you’re getting out of the business. Hard work overcomes all obstacles. Also, the typical agent is scared when they start this business. Their enthusiasm gets them moving and intense study of their craft gets them to the next level. This just wasn’t something you believed in.

At times I really like you. Not that it matters.

Brandon, I would like to ask you to consider doing something. I know that financial difficulties can make calm decision making very difficult. I would ask you to consider keeping your insurance license at this time. And then work 6-12 months-whatever is necessary to get your bills caught back up and rebuild a bit of a financial reserve. And then come back to insurance vs steel plant vs whatever when you are not being driven to decision by desperation. I will just say that knowing you have failed at something because of fear can become a heavy burden over a span of 30-40-50 years.

Best wishes for wisdom in your choices and grace in your life.

I'm an introvert, as well, but I do fine. They key is just needing to learn how to "turn it on" for a little while. I also fully utilize passive online sales, texting, e-mail, etc. Which are an introvert's dream. When I have to go in front of people, I just psyche myself out, and know that I only have to turn it on for a while. You have to just make it fun. Joke around with people. People aren't as bad as the media and world makes them out to be.

Many years ago I had a blue Cadillac.

Did you sell Aqua Velva products or were you a pimp?

Instead of reciting a script I LISTEN to the prospect and ask questions. They become clients when I find solutions to thier problems.

I don't understand why this is so hard to learn. Scripts, sales pitches, power phrases, etc is a crutch. It may work at the start to get you going but it won't sustain you long run.

When you learn to ask questions, LISTEN and respond, you will be much more successful. Too often the scripted sales pitch has a thought balloon where the salesman is thinking "will you shut up so I can move on to my next sentence".

I don't understand why this is so hard to learn. Scripts, sales pitches, power phrases, etc is a crutch. It may work at the start to get you going but it won't sustain you long run.

When you learn to ask questions, LISTEN and respond, you will be much more successful. Too often the scripted sales pitch has a thought balloon where the salesman is thinking "will you shut up so I can move on to my next sentence".

This is my philosophy as well. You can learn to sell one time by understanding how to ask questions and listen or you can relearn every time you need a new pitch for a new product.

When I learned to talk less and listen more, my closing % doubled and my kickbacks almost completely disappeared. :yes:

Latest posts

Back