Transferring annuity proceeds to IRA

aubrey

I am 77 years old with a net worth of 3M. Part of my portfolio includes a variable annuity I bought in 2007 for $320,000. I started drawing from it in 2017 and receive $25,000 per annum. My financial advisor now wants me to surrender the annuity with a surrender value of $319,000 and transfer the proceeds to my IRA to be invested in mutual funds. His rationale is that I currently pay 3% in charges for the annuity whereas the mutual funds only cost me 1.19% annually. Is this wise? The funds in the annuity do not perform as well as those in the IRA but on the other hand, I am guaranteed $25,000 per year until death at which time, whatever remains goes to my wife as an insurance death benefit. Please let me know what you think.

You need to think about why you bought an annuity to begin with and decide if that/those reason(s) matters to you anymore. I'll leave the rest of the advice to others.

The funds in the annuity do not perform as well as those in the IRA but on the other hand, I am guaranteed $25,000 per year until death at which time, whatever remains goes to my wife as an insurance death benefit

Is your financial advisor a tax pro? Look into the tax situation before you decide.

Back