TRICARE Super Committee Are You Serious?

MedSuppPro

Guru
1000 Post Club
According to a vet; he just read on Military.com that there are reports, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has stepped up his push to block working age retirees from using TRICARE Prime. McCain suggested to the powerful 12-member Joint Select Committee on Debt Reduction it would help avoid spending cuts that would directly impact readiness.

According to TREA (The Retired Enlisted Assoc) - We’ve reported previously that Senator John McCain, one of the few military retirees in Congress, sent a letter to the Super Committee supporting the President’s proposals to establish enrollment fees for Tricare For Life and increase pharmacy co-pays, as well as changing the military retirement system. We have now learned that McCain also has urged the Super Committee to consider options for cutting military retiree benefits that have been put forth by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

They include barring retirees from using TRICARE Prime, imposing a huge new annual enrollment fee for TRICARE Standard of about $1,500 for a single retiree and about $3,500 for a retired family, barring TRICARE from acting as second payer to other insurance, and raising the retiree catastrophic cap from $3,000 to $7,500 a year. Because these proposals have come from McCain, we have great concern that the Super Committee could give them serious consideration.

All of this at the same time that President Obama promised in his Veteran's Day Proclamation:
"We owe them a debt of honor, and it is our moral obligation to ensure they receive our support for as long as they live as proud veterans of the United States Armed Forces. This year, as our troops in Iraq complete their mission, we will honor them and all who serve by working tirelessly to give them the care, the benefits, and the opportunities they have earned."

I just wounder how deep will these cuts go. Could Level 7 be next? :skeptical:

According to a vet; he just read on Military.com that there are reports, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has stepped up his push to block working age retirees from using TRICARE Prime. McCain suggested to the powerful 12-member Joint Select Committee on Debt Reduction it would help avoid spending cuts that would directly impact readiness.

According to TREA (The Retired Enlisted Assoc) - We’ve reported previously that Senator John McCain, one of the few military retirees in Congress, sent a letter to the Super Committee supporting the President’s proposals to establish enrollment fees for Tricare For Life and increase pharmacy co-pays, as well as changing the military retirement system. We have now learned that McCain also has urged the Super Committee to consider options for cutting military retiree benefits that have been put forth by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

They include barring retirees from using TRICARE Prime, imposing a huge new annual enrollment fee for TRICARE Standard of about $1,500 for a single retiree and about $3,500 for a retired family, barring TRICARE from acting as second payer to other insurance, and raising the retiree catastrophic cap from $3,000 to $7,500 a year. Because these proposals have come from McCain, we have great concern that the Super Committee could give them serious consideration.

All of this at the same time that President Obama promised in his Veteran's Day Proclamation:
"We owe them a debt of honor, and it is our moral obligation to ensure they receive our support for as long as they live as proud veterans of the United States Armed Forces. This year, as our troops in Iraq complete their mission, we will honor them and all who serve by working tirelessly to give them the care, the benefits, and the opportunities they have earned."

I just wounder how deep will these cuts go. Could Level 7 be next? :skeptical:

Considering what every other American citizen pays for insurance, what is so wrong with what Mccain is proposing? The very idea that a 40-something receives practically free healthcare for life for himself plus dependents is a pretty significant burden on the taxpayer.
I don't know why Obama even tries to help the veterans/military. They always vote against him anyway.

Considering what every other American citizen pays for insurance, what is so wrong with what Mccain is proposing? The very idea that a 40-something receives practically free healthcare for life for himself plus dependents is a pretty significant burden on the taxpayer.

It's a retiree benefit, meaning that you have to be retired to get it. Most corporate retiree health plans are at little or no cost the retiree. Why should someone who worked for a corporation and never spend a second in harms' way get a near freebie from the company while those who served honorably get the shaft? You need to really consider things before you post. IEDs in Iraq versus a tough day in traffic on the interstate going to work?

I don't know why Obama even tries to help the veterans/military. They always vote against him anyway.
This is the same Obama who dismissed Patreus, replaced him with McCrystal, was embarrassed by the replacement in Rolling Stone magazine and ended up replacing his replacement with the guy he dismissed. And you question why the military doesn't like him. "Dee Dee Dee" as Carlos Mencia says.

Obviously you have never served in the military. It's brothers in arms and it all flows down from the top.

BTW, I AM retired military and have TRICARE RR. I pay $408 per month for TRICARE RR. It's not ALWAYS free! If I weren't single I'd pay $1,028 per month. McCain wants to raise that.

Some *** who just worked for GE gets a free retiree health plan AND can use that to opt out of Medicare B & D for as long as he wants (dependents included). Not a day in Bal'ad, nor Bagram nor anywhere more dangerous than the power tools in his garage and you want to stick it to the military guys and gals. Jeezus!

Last edited:

>>.....significant burden on the taxpayer.

Yup, the men and women that with a stroke of a pen are headed into harms way. The 1%. The ones that stand in front of the porch some hide under. The ones that try to raise families on very low wages for long hours with a promise from the Country they would lay their life down for. Yeah, they are a burden to some, mostly to piss ants that bitch about them, but would piss their pants if they were not there.

>>I don't know why Obama even tries to help the veterans/military.

He is not trying to help the American Veteran. He is trying to help himself. He is throwing them under the bus.

>>.....significant burden on the taxpayer.

Yup, the men and women that with a stroke of a pen are headed into harms way. The 1%. The ones that stand in front of the porch some hide under. The ones that try to raise families on very low wages for long hours with a promise from the Country they would lay their life down for. Yeah, they are a burden to some, mostly to piss ants that bitch about them, but would piss their pants if they were not there.

>>I don't know why Obama even tries to help the veterans/military.

He is not trying to help the American Veteran. He is trying to help himself. He is throwing them under the bus.

How is he "throwing them under the bus?". Everytime that I read a news article, it says how Obama and the Dems are trying to defend the returning vets and their healthcare. The military folk are hardcore Repub types that would NEVER vote for a Dem. Just look what they did to Al Gore in 2000!

To those of you who say that company retirees receive rich benefits, those are certainly not the type of clients that I encounter. Mine are faced with HUGE Cobra premiums and high deductible/premium benefits, espec in union busting state such as Texas.

How is he "throwing them under the bus?". Everytime that I read a news article, it says how Obama and the Dems are trying to defend the returning vets and their healthcare. The military folk are hardcore Repub types that would NEVER vote for a Dem. Just look what they did to Al Gore in 2000!

To those of you who say that company retirees receive rich benefits, those are certainly not the type of clients that I encounter. Mine are faced with HUGE Cobra premiums and high deductible/premium benefits, espec in union busting state such as Texas.

You sound young. I hope so.

You may want to read more than one source. So you are saying that Military are all hardcore Republican? And you know that how? I know a few military men and women. most are apolitical. I would bet at least half come from Democrat homes. Tricare is about retirees. Men and women that did their job, Your job. Now you want to renege. Sounds like a character flaw to me.

And what did they do to Gore? They they you are talking about are Americans. Americans that have stood up. That continue to stand up. No Democrats stand up? I was a Democrat when I enlisted during Vietnam. What were you, your dad or your grandpa when you/they served? Republican? Union members never served?

YES SIR... WTF DID THEY DO TO ALGORE... MR CREATER OF THE INTERNET AND THE REASON TODAY THERE IS SO MUCH DIVISON IN AMERICA... TELL ME MAN???

Back