Two Small Homeowner Claims

zippy

I live in a condo where the unit owners own the siding on the building. The condo workers broke the siding because they attached a fence wrong. Then the other time the the toilets backed up because the main line broke. The other 3 unit owners in the building was paid for by the association, but the manager refuses to pay for me. The board does not care, apathetic.

1. Siding: $1,000 to $1,500 to fix.
2. Plumber fee was $600

Instead of suing I am thinking of putting in a claim with my insurance company, then let the insurance company go after them.

Will my rates go up? What is the long-term consequences of this?

Makes no sense to place a claim with your own insurance company. Siding is not part of your coverage and would not be considered for a loss. Your Condo policy probably contains language such as "walls in". You "own" your belongings and are responsible for any upgrades you have done. Even if you are responsible for pipes, you don't own the siding or exterior walls. If you don't have sewer and water back-up coverage (and many condo policies do not offer this), you only have coverage for pressurized lines (water coning into the unit) not drains and sewer lines going out..
If you place a claim you would have a denial and a claims history which could adversely affect your renewal. sue the condo association in Small Claims and see how they respond. Send a demand letter first and give them 10-15 business days to replay.

Siding is not part of your coverage and would not be considered for a loss. Your Condo policy probably contains language such as "walls in". You "own" your belongings and are responsible for any upgrades you have done. Even if you are responsible for pipes, you don't own the siding or exterior walls.

If you place a claim you would have a denial and a claims history which could adversely affect your renewal. sue the condo association in Small Claims and see how they respond. Send a demand letter first and give them 10-15 business days to replay.
Thank you for your response, but that was not what I was asking.

We most certainly own the outer walls and the policy does not say walls in. It is a common misconception that all condos only own the drywall in. I was told my policy covers the backup because I am covered by torts that damage my property, like a kid knocking a baseball though a window. The manager paid to get the other 3 units in the building cleaned up, he even told the other owners the association was at fault.

My question was "Will my rates go up? What is the long-term consequences of this?" I purely want to know how much it will affect my rates and if it is even worth getting $1,500 from the insurance company and pay more later or even get a non-renewal. You said I would get a denial, but that was based on your assumption of who owns the siding. I am saying if I get payment from the insurance company, is it a risk getting much higher rates or non-renewal, please?

Can you change the color of the siding? You said there are 4 units. Is it 4 units in one building or 4 units in a row like a townhouse? If your policy has a claim free discount you will probably lose that even if your subrogation is successful. What is your deductible? Is it worth 3 years of increased premium in order to receive 1500 less your deductible if your own company pays? I doubt it. 2 claims will be treated as 2 different events so you would probably see a rate increase or surcharge as well.

Can you change the color of the siding? You said there are 4 units. Is it 4 units in one building or 4 units in a row like a townhouse? If your policy has a claim free discount you will probably lose that even if your subrogation is successful. What is your deductible?

The deductible is $250, but I am not sure if it is event or year.
4 townhouses in a row, all partially attached.
Color of homes must conform.

If the condo association pays the insurance company is there still a rate increase? Years ago the association damaged a car, refused to pay, and the auto insurance company got the association to pay the insurance company. So the auto insurance company paid the car owner, then many months later the association paid the insurance company.

You have 2 claims, 2 deductibles. 500.00 to try to get back 1000.00 and x rate increase. Do whatever you want, your prior posts about 2 policies for 1 property and this one make me wonder if you just want to argue or get advice. If you have an HO6 Condo policy and don't have sewer backup you have a civil suit but no claim on your policy

Back