Homeowners Insurance Claim

BPP1992

My upstairs AC leaked and cause some minor damage to my home. I started a claim and got estimates on how much it would cost to repair. Estimates came back a lot less expensive than I expected. If I were to now just pay for the repairs myself would it still count as a claim on my record?

Yes, even if you decide not to proceed with the insurance claim and pay for the repairs out of pocket, it could still be recorded as a claim on your insurance record. Insurance companies often track any incidents that you report to them, regardless of whether you actually go through with the claim.

When you report an incident, the insurance company might categorize it as a "reported claim" or "non-claims incident." This means that the incident was reported to them but did not result in a payout. While this might not have an immediate impact on your premiums, it could still be considered when your policy is up for renewal or if you switch insurance provider, but if it's a single reported claim, it's likely not to have a major impact on you.

Though the situation can vary by policy, insurance carrier, state, and many other factors

ALWAYS CALL YOUR AGENT FIRST, then get an estimate or 2, decide if it is worth making a claim, and THEN call claims. If you have a decently high deductible, is it worth making a claim when your out of pocket deductible is more than 50% of the repair?

It's unfortunate, your Agent should have advised you to hold off on formally filing this claim until the repair estimates were received....

ALWAYS CALL YOUR AGENT FIRST, then get an estimate or 2, decide if it is worth making a claim, and THEN call claims. If you have a decently high deductible, is it worth making a claim when your out of pocket deductible is more than 50% of the repair?

If you've already had a claim in the last handful of years, definitely yes. If not, probably yes.

ALWAYS CALL YOUR AGENT FIRST, then get an estimate or 2, decide if it is worth making a claim,

No, No, No.

Always get your estimates first, then decide if it's worth calling the agent or the claims department.

If you call the agent first, he is likely to report it to his carrier to protect his appointment with that carrier. Then it's on record with the carrier even if you don't want to make the claim.

On the other hand, insured's are contractually obligated to report losses. Concealing them could lead to consequences.

You're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

:no:

You have no obligation to report hypothetical questions or calls explaining coverage.

True. But

Duties After Loss
In case of a loss to covered property, we have no duty to provide coverage under this policy if the failure to comply with the following duties is prejudicial to us. These duties must be performed either by you, an "insured" seeking coverage, or a representative of either:
Give prompt notice to us or our agent.

And

Concealment Or Fraud
We provide coverage to no "insureds" under this policy if, whether before or after a loss, an "insured" has:
1. Intentionally concealed or misrepresented any material fact or circumstance;
2. Engaged in fraudulent conduct; or
3. Made false statements;
relating to this insurance.

Both of the above conditions are quoted verbatim from a homeonwer's policy.

If an insured has a loss, fails to report it, and then later wants to make the claim, he could find himself without coverage.

Back