Um, A New Target Market?

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
Meeting with a Fee Based Financial Planner, who, of course, doesn't do Life, DI, or LTC. At the very end of the meeting, I am asked if I have any qualms about working with the LGBT community.

I, thinking quickly, said "no"; however, there might be some health/risk factors that insurance companies may ask about.

We were talking specifically about DI. Now, I have never knowingly had a client who was a member of LBGT. Is there any concerns I should have?

(Bring on the funny jabs)

:GEEK:

you sure look cute traipsing up and down the street of that community hanging flyers.....

when my wife worked on wallstreet her appt was at 52 and 8th... all the lunch, haircut and stuff was one street over, on 9th ave... the new NYC gay area... i hated being over there by myself... i got harrased and hit on every time, just to get a burger and fries

you sure look cute traipsing up and down the street of that community hanging flyers.....

when my wife worked on wallstreet her appt was at 52 and 8th... all the lunch, haircut and stuff was one street over, on 9th ave... the new NYC gay area... i hated being over there by myself... i got harrased and hit on every time, just to get a burger and fries

Admit it, you loved every minute of it.

Not at all. You should be good to go. The community is great to work with. If they trust you they give you tons of referrals.

Be your self and if you are a person who does the best for your clients they will see it and work with you.

I have to agree with this statement. A few years back when I was in the Seattle area I helped out a same sex couple to figure out their insurance. They do have some special needs to consider as far as legal issues because they are not actually married. But if you can help them figure that out they will love you. They started referring me people, and then those people started referring me people. I sort of got known as an expert on their situation.

Not at all. You should be good to go. The community is great to work with. If they trust you they give you tons of referrals.

I worked that market here in Atlanta with my previous partner. All around a terrible experience especially if you are trying to write life apps. Nicest group of people but not the best niche group to market insurance products to.

I work with a woman who is a member of that community and she writes a ton business there. They apparently buy from and support each other quite a bit. With that said, I don't know if they would buy from you if you aren't a part of that community, IFYKWIM.

I'm not, and they bought from me. However that might have been because they didn't have anyone who was "part of their community" that was an agent.

I work with a woman who is a member of that community and she writes a ton business there. They apparently buy from and support each other quite a bit. With that said, I don't know if they would buy from you if you aren't a part of that community, IFYKWIM.

Latest posts

Back