Under 26, how to stop parent from signing up under their plan

bethk

My son is now 19, he is healthy, and his only health issue ever is ADHD. His father was required by the divorce decree to provide health insurance until now. There is/was no additional cost to his father to add to his policy through his employer. My son would like to get his own policy on the exchange when enrollment comes up, or through his own employer. My son does not want additional policies out there for possible COB problems, in addition to other issues. My ex-husband refuses to discontinue coverage.

We know, this is not a normal situation. My ex-husband had a traumatic brain injury 6 years ago, and 5 years ago we divorced and went no contact per professional recommendation. My ex-husband can still perform his previous work, however privately he became a different person -- controlling, abusive, explosively angry, illogical, amoral - honestly didn't know why things were right or wrong. The small troupe of therapists and other mental health therapists alternately described his condition as acquired psychopathy, narcissistic pd, high conflict, bipolar, etc. Regardless of the varied dx's, the end result is that my son and I have been no contact since the divorce, at least from our side (except email when absolutely required.)

Additional reasons my son wants to drop this coverage is that Anthem will not allow us to redirect any health information from going to my ex-husband's address or allow it to be completely electronic to my son exclusively. My ex opens the physical mail Anthem sends and sends texts to my son commenting negatively. Anthem says that my ex-husband is the primary and somewhere in the paperwork you waive HIPAA rights to the primary. It goes without saying, my ex-husband would refuse to pay for any health bills for my son now that he is over 19 and not forced by divorce decree.

Both my son and I have talked to the Anthem HR representative about dropping the coverage, they say it is a employee benefit and only the employee can add and drop. This profoundly effects my son, and we seem powerless to stop it short of changing his social security number and name, and then moving abroad for good measure.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Additional information, if it helps. I have an exchange policy. My ex-husband's policy is very high deductible PPO, so was/is not really helpful unless something big happens. Someone outside our experience asked why he would even bother keeping my son on, I think my ex-husband's motivation here is control that doesn't cost him anything. To this end, I have been putting in legal protections should something happen to my son, a POA, Medical POAs, Anthem Authorization Form, etc to circumvent theoretical problems. However, getting my ex-husband out of the loop would be primary though. Thanks.

my son now that he is over 19

Emancipation age in CO is 19.

Why is your ex still in the loop and kicking sand?

Ask an attorney as this appears to be more of a legal matter vs insurance

Just noticed this is almost a month old. I would imagine the lady has moved on.

Last edited:
Back