Under Obamacare, Can Insurance Co. Raise my Premium Next Year if They Paid Out Large Claims this Yea

badkitty

Expert
I now have "Obamacare" or more precisely, I get some premium tax credits as a result and my carrier is the largest health care insurance in my state.

God forbid that I need emergency surgery for something this year and the insurance company pays the hospital/doctors/etc $50,000, $100,00, or more... according to a report done by the local NBC affiliate station, all three major hospitals charge well over $47,000 for broken arm and $110,000 for minor heart attack cases. (!!!) Apparently that's double the national average cost.

If it were auto insurance, my premium next year is guaranteed to go through the roof.

Does the same apply to health insurance now that I get my insurance under Obamacare?

I now have "Obamacare" or more precisely, I get some premium tax credits as a result and my carrier is the largest health care insurance in my state.

God forbid that I need emergency surgery for something this year and the insurance company pays the hospital/doctors/etc $50,000, $100,00, or more... according to a report done by the local NBC affiliate station, all three major hospitals charge well over $47,000 for broken arm and $110,000 for minor heart attack cases. (!!!) Apparently that's double the national average cost.

If it were auto insurance, my premium next year is guaranteed to go through the roof.

Does the same apply to health insurance now that I get my insurance under Obamacare?

Yes! Premiums of guaranteed to go up next year for everybody.

Yes! Premiums of guaranteed to go up next year for everybody.

let me make sure I get this right....

if I have an auto accident, my auto insurance premium will go up next year
I accept that, since it's my fault. However, if I stay accident-free and don't
have any moving violations, my premium will go down in a few years.

but if I get sick and my health insurance has to pay the hospital a lot of money,
my health insurance premium will go up next year as well? what if it's
someone with a chronic sickness? does that his/her health insurance premium
will go up and up every year, until he or she can no longer afford to pay for it?

thanks in advance !

let me make sure I get this right....

if I have an auto accident, my auto insurance premium will go up next year
I accept that, since it's my fault. However, if I stay accident-free and don't
have any moving violations, my premium will go down in a few years.

but if I get sick and my health insurance has to pay the hospital a lot of money,
my health insurance premium will go up next year as well? what if it's
someone with a chronic sickness? does that his/her health insurance premium
will go up and up every year, until he or she can no longer afford to pay for it?

thanks in advance !

It has gotten nothing to do with you. I am saying that "everyone's premiums will go up PERIOD!

Back