United Home Life Charge Back...one agent story

Several months ago I replaced a policy from Lincoln with one from UHL. Everything is fine and everyone is happy.

Only about 2 months ago, UHL contacts me and states the client never sent the paper back stating she received the policy. Client states she did but she made a copy of it and will send in the copy. We chuckle and move on.

Only they state they never got the copy.

I call the client. I give her a copy of the form to sign and she does. She hands it back. I send it directly to the company and keep a copy. I then email them the copy.

Long story short they claim they never received this form.

I have a charge back.

Now I can't get a hold of anyone at the UHL office to resolve this. At this point I don't think I'll ever sell another UHL policy because of this.

Several months ago I replaced a policy from Lincoln with one from UHL. Everything is fine and everyone is happy.

Only about 2 months ago, UHL contacts me and states the client never sent the paper back stating she received the policy. Client states she did but she made a copy of it and will send in the copy. We chuckle and move on.

I call the client. I give her a copy of the form to sign and she does. She hands it back. I send it directly to the company and keep a copy. I then email them the copy.

I have a charge back.

Now I can't get a hold of anyone at the UHL office to resolve this. At this point I don't think I'll ever sell another UHL policy because of this.
Even though I have the highest commission contract I have with them, I have not put anything with them simply because I have heard far too many stories of this type about them.. Are they collecting premiums on the case? If so, they owe you the commission. I don't think there is anything in the contract saying the client has to mail a policy receipt back before commissions are earned. . Would they pay the claim if she died or would they claim the policy is not in force?

Many, many years ago, Mutual of Omaha tried to say I owed them about $1800.00 for commissions paid on policies that lapsed in the first year. My immediate reply was telling them to supply me with a list of the policies they say lapsed. They didn't. I asked again. They wouldn't. After the third request, they sent me a list of policy numbers. I cross-referenced them with my data, called each person to verify whether their policy was still in force. All were Med-Supp contracts and all were still in force. I notified the Company their information was incorrect and that all were still active. MoO was unrelenting in their demand that I repay the money or they would bring legal action. My reply..."Bring it on. I like a good court fight." Their response...nothing. But they did terminate my appointment, and I have been unable to get re-appointed with them, not that I do any med-supp business. I did have a client turning 65 a couple of years ago and tried getting appointed. They declined my request. Now, I simply refer that business to a friend of mine whose practice is solely med-supp. And he refers his clients to me that are in need of investment management.

Even though I have the highest commission contract I have with them, I have not put anything with them simply because I have heard far too many stories of this type about them.. Are they collecting premiums on the case? If so, they owe you the commission. I don't think there is anything in the contract saying the client has to mail a policy receipt back before commissions are earned. . Would they pay the claim if she died or would they claim the policy is not in force?

UHL will flat out rescind the policy if they do not receive the policy receipt. There will be no premium as it will be returned to the insured.

That said, I don't see how everyone has all these problems. UHL is very easy to work with. Never had an issue that couldn't easily be resolved. They want the premium and they want to pay the commission. Were it me, I would have verified they got it when I sent it in, and they would have gladly done so.

I have a charge back.

You do not have the policy sent to you? To deliver F2F or by mail?

I know most carriers would apply the charge back to your next commission. What would happen if for example you were Independent, sold a UHL policy that cancels, but you left and went to a captive agency, or just never sold a policy for that carrier again. Someone told me they would just actually send you a bill. What would happen if you didn't pay it, would they just bring you to court to get the money?

They may try to collect on it just like any other debt - send it to a collection agency and proceed from there depending on the size of it. The difference here, is that you could also get a 'vector hit' where it could make it more difficult/impossible to represent other insurance companies until it is resolved.

I know most carriers would apply the charge back to your next commission. What would happen if for example you were Independent, sold a UHL policy that cancels, but you left and went to a captive agency, or just never sold a policy for that carrier again. Someone told me they would just actually send you a bill. What would happen if you didn't pay it, would they just bring you to court to get the money?

They would vector you (making it very hard to get appointed anywhere else and/or be terminated from other carriers) and then send you to collections.

If it rolled to your up line, you might be sued followed by all of the above.

Not a good idea to skip on these debts...

They would vector you (making it very hard to get appointed anywhere else and/or be terminated from other carriers) and then send you to collections.

If it rolled to your up line, you might be sued followed by all of the above.

Not a good idea to skip on these debts...
Yeah the person who told me about getting billed for chargebacks, also told indirectly about vector hits. That’s why carriers will request to see your credit history, because a vector hit can actually show up in it, and they want not necessarily check if you pay you bills on time but more so, if you have had any companies “vector” you.

I'm actually OK with the charge back. These things happen and it's a cost of doing business. I'm just not happy with how the whole thing was handled. I've already sent in about 1/4 the commission. The rest I've sent up a payment for the rest.

I also got a hit with another company, but that guy died...so what can you do.

Back