United Hopes to Bring Change Healthcare Back Online

It is a real mess for sure. Health care systems have a soft underbelly and will continue to be exploited.

There are other industries, private and public sector, that are easy targets for cyber attack and data breach.

It surprises me how little attention this thread has received. Seems like there are a number of agents who are out of touch about what goes on that has an impact on our clients.

Was not aware of this data breach until today.

Although the claims were submitted after the breach date, it may be a reason I am having to deal with a 6 month old claim UHC is not processing and related late charges on my provider account.

Was not aware of this data breach until today.

Although the claims were submitted after the breach date, it may be a reason I am having to deal with a 6 month old claim UHC is not processing and related late charges on my provider account.

It was a real mess. It impacted a lot of claims.

Medical records are the biggest source of identity theft. You are, by the way, not required by law to give your social security number to any medical system/practice. EPIC, for example, will enter a string of 9/s, another electronic system will enter a string of 8's instead of your SS number.

I got a letter in the mail last week (Technically from UCH's company Change Healthcare) as I was personally affected by the UHC cyber breach. They knew they were hacked last February, confirmed in March, started mailing letters in June. I got mine the beginning of October. Looks like, from the letter I got, they paid the ransom and got access again March 13, 2024 and are now trying to deal with the mess and make the information more secure.

They below is a verbatim from the letter. On the dark web some of this information will be very valuable.
  • Health insurance data (such as as health plans/policies, insurance companies, member/group IS numbers, Medicare-Medicaid -government payor ID numbers)
  • Health data (such as as medical record numbers, doctors, diagnoses, medicines, test results, images , care and treatments)
  • Billing, insurance claims and payment data (such as claim numbers, account numbers, billing codes, payment cards, financial and banking, and balance)
  • Other personal data (such as social security number, driver's license number of state ID number , or other ID numbers, name, address, date of birth, phone number, and email)
100% of the above was not taken for everyone and if someone other than the patient paid the bill then their information was taken.

Because it impacted a number of claims that aren't being paid or are being paid slowly, some providers are charging late fees, others are holding off. Some are being sent to collection, some are not. Makes me wonder what has happened to premium payments with UHC.

They are offering 2 years of free credit monitoring.

Back