Unlicensed CSRs (Indiana)

FMCIndy

Hello all,

I'm hoping I can get some clarification on what unlicensed CSRs can do in Indiana. I reviewed the IN rules as well as information provided by the NAIC, but am not clear on what a potential new hire can do from a servicing perspective.

I know an unlicensed rep can't quote, solicit, negotiate, or advise a client on a potential policy or current coverage. This specific role within my agency is essentially backend support for senior account managers and producers and wouldn't do any quoting/selling. This is a salaried role and commissions are not part of any compensation package. I was initially going to bring this person in and have them handle account maintenance in our CMS, other clerical and administrative tasks, and process endorsements only at the direction of a licensed account manager or producer. They would have little to no interaction with clients beyond emailing requested documents or directing them to the appropriate resource.

What's not clear to me is whether this unlicensed person can actually make endorsements/service policies in carrier sites. If they can process changes on carrier sites, what types of changes are ok and what do I need to have them decline and send back to the account manager/producer? This would all become irrelevant once they obtain their license, but until they can do that, I'd prefer to get them going on understanding systems and their day-to-day role.

If there's an explainer for Indiana floating out there I'd be more than happy to take a look if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Back