Using a particular carrier's marketing materials...good or bad?

Strategy101

Expert
Looking for opinions on using a particular carrier's marketing materials for advertisement when you are actually independent and write with multiple carriers. Is this a good practice or not? For instance, let's say I have several appointments with well known auto carriers but I want to put a co-branded Erie Insurance sign in my window. I kinda feel like this gives the impression that I am an Erie agent or only write Erie. What do you guys think?

Ps. I am using Erie as an example...i have no clue if they do or do not have co-branded signs.

I might be mistaken but you are an Erie Agent. Right? You are also an agent with others, perhaps Safeco, etc? That is what an Independent Agent is, they hold multiple appointments.

I think you using their preapproved marketing material is bad for you, especially if they pitch in. Frankly having multiple different insurers that are willing to market with you is probably more of a benefit than a negative.

I would suggest that you contact that "particular carrier's" marketing department. The worst thing they can tell you is "NO"...unless you go ahead and do it anyways and then one day receive a letter from their legal department...

Once you've contacted them, then you'll know for sure one way or the other.

I would suggest that you contact that "particular carrier's" marketing department. The worst thing they can tell you is "NO"...unless you go ahead and do it anyways and then one day receive a letter from their legal department...

Once you've contacted them, then you'll know for sure one way or the other.

I am actually just looking for opinions on if it might be a good marketing technique...not asking if I can because the carriers give me permission to use their marketing materials. But I think I already answered this question because I see many other agents doing it. For instance, there is this one agent in my area who is obviously appointed with Nationwide. He has a Nationwide sign on the exterior of his building but he is contracted with many other carriers as well.

It’s not good . I get tons of free promotional items from carriers . I do give it away but I make sure I say “ I sold you this today but I represent all carriers and all plans” . I work for you and not 1 particular carrier . If you don’t when they get the itch to switch they’ll think you only represent that carrier . I can’t tell you how many times I’m selling someone and somebody calls and the person says “ I’ll call you back the United guys here “ . I have to correct them . You have to brand yourself .

Back