Wake Up AARP! A Message to Seniors: Medicare "Disadvantage" Is a Corporate Trap

Yes, not quite sure what's different about this year, but I've had some MA referrals tell me they wanted an MA plan for the dvh benefits. At first, I thought that it was an incidental type thing, but after a few like that..had a couple last week that both were dropping Med Supp for MA and wanted the Aetna MA in their area with dvh.

I do like selling MA, but not for a ridiculous reason. I did a plan comparison for their area that showed better Med and Rx benefits based on their RX...no change, they had to have the aetna dvh with a big period at the end.

Most the time Aetna DVH is a reimbursement. Had a founded allegation once because I told a client that Aetna gave X amount per year for dental, but I didn't say it was a reimbursement. Stupid, but dem be the rules.

Most the time Aetna DVH is a reimbursement. Had a founded allegation once because I told a client that Aetna gave X amount per year for dental, but I didn't say it was a reimbursement. Stupid, but dem be the rules.

Yes, in every case I pointed out that it was a reimbursement, I don't think that I've ever tried so hard to "undersell" something more than that dvh benefit. Did they come complain to you first, or ask for assistance?

Medicare Advantage Enrollees Discover Dirty Little Secret
Getting out is a lot harder than getting in

Medicare Advantage Enrollees Discover Dirty Little Secret

Last month, veteran consumer advocate Ralph Nader blasted MA plans as nothing more than a way to enrich health insurers at seniors' expense. Calling the plans "Medicare Disadvantage" and a "corporate trap," Nader took the AARP, which offers its brand of Medicare Advantage through UnitedHealthcare, to task for being asleep on the issue, and in conflict because it gets a 4.95% commission.

AARP spokesman Gregory Phillips responded: "AARP supports increasing access through guaranteed issue to Medigap coverage, in addition to eliminating medical underwriting and age rating, to ensure that older Americans will get the coverage they need when they need it most."

And he agreed that many beneficiaries may not be aware that plans "may terminate their relationship with Medicare in any given year; change the premiums, cost-sharing charges, or benefits from year to year (including drug coverage); and drop physicians from their networks during the year."

"Beneficiaries may also not be aware that if they want to voluntarily leave an MA plan and return to traditional fee-for-service Medicare, they may be subject to medical underwriting for a Medicare supplement (Medigap) policy. This underwriting may result in their being refused a policy or being required to pay higher rates."

But Phillips defended AARP's participation in MA, saying it provides information on both MA and traditional Medicare plans.

Back