Wanting to Buy an Agency

indypendent

I'd asked in a previous thread if this was the proper place to post this and no one responded, so I'm gonna go with it.

Where does one find out about agencies or books for sale? I'm looking to purchase a primarily P&C (with crop ins would be great) agency in northwest Indiana or west central Illinois. I've spoken to my current marketing reps to keep their ears open but I currently only have one carrier in addition to my crop carriers, so I'm sure there are owners preparing to retire out there but I don't have any way to know who they are. I was previously a co-owner of an agency for 7 years and am now on my own for one year. Looking to expand and gain additional companies.

Thanks for any advice or leads!

Notify your marketing reps and the M&A companies that specialize in insurance (also listed on agency equity). after that, prospect for acquisitions the same way you target clients. Run a list of insurance agents in the area you are targeting the hit them with direct mail and a follow up phone call. Hand address the envelope and use stamps, they are more likely to open it that way. I would be careful with the agencies that have been offered on the open market through a website... most quality agencies are sold as pocket listings and there is a long line of qualified buyers.

Last edited:
Back