Watch Your Declines

Had a lady call me yesterday, after she received her decline letter from the carrier. She called them to discuss, and they said that they had a plan for her,transferred her call, and took an application over the phone.

She told them that I was her agent and asked if it would be linked to me. She said that they didn't give her a straight answer, so she called and told me about it.

I called the carrier and they said that it was a direct sale and to shiot and fall back in it. I let her know that it was not thru me anymore, but it was cool, no biggie, I'm rich. She called and withdrew her app.

I've had two different carriers pull this stunt in the last 6 weeks, and I'm not going to mention names. I think they all need to be watched carefully now.

A cable company I worked for in the past did stuff like that (interceptions) got to love inbound sales/customer service/defensive backs..

Ditto. Home improvement company I worked for did that. They'd call the client and if the client appeared to be backing out of the deal they'd offer either a discount or additional stuff and it would turn into a house deal.

Guess how many people complained about the price after customer service called the day after I made the sale.

Had a lady call me yesterday, after she received her decline letter from the carrier. She called them to discuss, and they said that they had a plan for her,transferred her call, and took an application over the phone.

She told them that I was her agent and asked if it would be linked to me. She said that they didn't give her a straight answer, so she called and told me about it.

I called the carrier and they said that it was a direct sale and to shiot and fall back in it. I let her know that it was not thru me anymore, but it was cool, no biggie, I'm rich. She called and withdrew her app.

I've had two different carriers pull this stunt in the last 6 weeks, and I'm not going to mention names. I think they all need to be watched carefully now.

Why not name the carriers? Shouldn't everyone know what they are dealing with?

I try to do as little business as possible with companies that compete with their own agents.

Why not name the carriers? Shouldn't everyone know what they are dealing with?

It can't be proved, so it's just a word to the wise. The fact that the carrier neither confirmed nor denied her claim, and made no effort to "correct" the error, told me something as well.

The most agent friendly carrier out there has been Humana, in my experience.

They are as cool as cool whip, when it comes to AOR indy or group, fixing things that happen by mistake, etc.

I had this issue with Aetna a few times. One client swore they used my broker link for the application but my broker information didn't populate.

Had a client turned down by Aetna 2 weeks ago, but they didn't offer her any alternatives. She's now applying with the new HHS/PCIP.

Someone enlighten me. If a company declines an applicant for medical reasons, what can the company then offer this person?

-Allen

I wouldn't wait for the company to offer anything. Check your UW status often. When you see a decline, hop on the phone with your client immediately so you, not the carrier, can go over alternatives.

Just curious. Do you know if the new application was for a limited benefit plan some of the carriers are offering?

Back