What companies have the best training for a CFP beginner

wolfe42

Expert
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about becoming a CFP and was wondering what might be the top companies to work for that have the best training and mentoring starting out in the business

Thank you

Most companies have some kind of training program, but they still have a significant "wash-out" factor. I'd primarily look for a prospecting program, because it doesn't matter how much they teach you about insurance or investments, if you can't get in front of enough people... it won't matter.

Investment-focused: Merrill Lynch, UBS, Morgan Stanley, Wells Fargo Advisors, Edward Jones, Ameriprise, AXA-Equitable

Insurance-focused: New York Life, Northwestern Mutual, MassMutual, Guardian, Prudential, Ohio National, Penn Mutual, Securian, etc.

If it were me, I'd look for the company that would have the best support for how I see myself prospecting and marketing for new clients.

Edward Jones has a uniform prospecting approach for everyone: door knocking. But there's no reason why you can't door-knock anywhere you want (subject to local laws).

Securian (last I heard some time ago) will compensate you for your ACTIVITY - so that's just about as good as a 'salary'.

The investment firms will typically have a salary for a period of time while you work towards your hurdles. Insurance firms generally don't.

Everyone else is either "figure it out yourself" and/or Project 200 (who do you know).

The knowledge is secondary. As said in The Pursuit of Happyness: "You reel them in, we'll cook the fish."

Back