What Individual Health companies would you use in Michigan?

Jan 8, 2007

1. mmb98

mmb98 Expert

I am anticipating getting into the individual health insurance market more here in Michigan. Does anybody have experience in this market here. I have dabbled a little in the past.

Currently I am appointed directly with Assurant/John Alden, Humana, United Health Care/Golden Rule, and Blue Cross Blue Shield. I am getting 20% as earned on all but the BCBS which is only 8% (but there is no underwriting involved).

I went to eHealthInsurance.com and noticed Unicare and Aetna came up quite a bit (so did Celtic, but based only on a bit of information, I'm not too impressed by this company). Do you think Unicare and Aetna would be worth getting appointed with (or other companies), or should I stick with what I have?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

2. STIBROKER

STIBROKER Like My post and enter the DRAWING,,,, Moderator

State:
    Texas
    depends on how much business you plan on losing......

[​IMG]

3. K-Dub

K-Dub Super Genius

Why not get appointed with everyone? Have everything in your back pocket!

4. mmb98

mmb98 Expert

I just submitted paperwork with UniCare and Aetna. Any others that I may be missing? Thanks.

5. bcbroker

bcbroker Super Genius

State:
    Alabama
    It is my understanding from internal sources that Assurant Health has targeted Mi as 1 of 4 states that they expect to do really well with.

6. TXINSURANCE

TXINSURANCE Guru

Michigan is a great state - Unicare is hit or miss with their network and they rate up like crazy (non waiver state). It is nice to have a GI BCBS so you can put the unhealthy on BCBS MI and write the rest elsewhere.

8% on GI is great except you can not write direct and they are a huge pain to deal with, very incompetent.

Overall MI is a great state, it sounds like you have your bases covered between Unicare, Aetna, UHC / GR, you got the bulk of it.

7. dmiller90

dmiller90 Guru

State:
    Illinois
    Not even One of the Major Players in Michigan. Never have anyone ask for it either.:no:

8. CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD Guru

State:
    Ohio
    This thread was dead for almost 18 months. Odd.