What Kind Of Engineering Jobs Are Available In the Car Insurance Industry?

esox

I am currently employed as a structural automotive engineer at one of the big 3 carmakers and I have been for over 12 years. I've specialized in exterior sheet metal deformation along with evaluating the structural integrity of the underlying metal skeleton. I have also been heavily involved with exterior plastic components such as fascia, bumpers and body side moldings.

Outside of crash testing, what other types of engineering jobs can be found in the car insurance industry with this type of background?

As a non P&C licensed agent, I'm only guessing when I say there's is likely an analog to the recommendations I give to attorneys and finance people when it comes to this sort of question on the L&H side of this business.

In addition to what DHK has pointed to, there's a good chance some companies are at least contracting people with your sort of expertise to develop underwriting and claims guidelines. It's probably not a FT position that has a future, though. You might be able to secure a position in underwriting somewhere given your background, this is a huge maybe. And I mean more on-staff technical expert than rank and file underwriter.

You need to contact car insurance company headquarters and speak to human resources. There must be recruiters who can place you. This forum is all about selling insurance.

"Loss control" or "safety management"
Almost all carriers quoting commercial accounts over $50,000 in premium have a "loss control" or "safety management" inspector assigned to a territory whose full time job is to pre-inspect the accounts before they will release a quote. You would be an asset to an insurance company that writes manufacturers because you know what a reg flag looks like in the industry. Or, you help post loss determine the cause of the loss but a lot of insurance companies use consultants for this to transfer the risk....

Back