What to pay a CSR to help free up time to write new business?

Central1980

Hello

I am a Life and Health agent with 17 years in the business. My practice and focused changed about half way into my career once Heath Reform took effect. I spent the first half of my career selling individual, and small group health only to find my world turned upside down and left with a major reduction in my residual commissions pretty much overnight due to the compensation health reform failed to address. At this point I began to rethink the the business snd focus primarily on Medicare. The last 8 years have been good to me steadily growing my Medicare block. I am at the point I feel I have either plateaus in the amount of clients I can manage alone and I am looking for some ideas or advice to manage the block and free up time to focus on selling more. The most time consuming part of the medicare business is processing applications and managing current customers during AEP.
I am looking to get some assistance most likely part time to start during the AEP to handle new applications and schedule follow ups with existing clients. What would be fair pay as a percentage of my commissions to process applications once sold, imputing client info in to a CRM system, and conducting outbound calls with existing clients to insure policy delivery or schedule appointments with myself. ? Is there a rule of thumb for such pay. Is it by the hour or by the case. ?

The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.

If your state has a higher minimum wage you will have to start with it and work your way up from there.

Minimum wage by state:

Minimum Wage Rates by State 2022 (minimum-wage.org)

Another consideration is do these CSRs have to be licensed. Check your state licensing law on that.

A licensed person will cost you more.

Some states require licensing eve if a person barely touches insurance papers.

Your costs won't be just what you pay the person. You will also have to pay FICA, unemployment tax, and cover the person for worker's comp.

Last edited:
There now called virtual assistants. Honestly McDonald’s paying $15 an hr . I’m hearing most agents starting helpers out at $20 an hr . Why do you need help processing app’s ? If your doing e-apps it’s done . As the other poster said if you want someone to take apps,talk with clients and work on problems they need to be licensed . They’ll have had to have taken the ahip . I doubt anyone like that has that works less than $25-$30 an hr p/t

Back