What would you do to retire at age 50?

dumDriver

I been kind of obsessing about retirement lately, when and if I make it

I would very much appreciate any advice or input anyone is willing to offer. I will try to keep this short to not take too much of you time.

Would like to retire at 50. Modest living expectations. Currently 36 years old. Earn 70-100k per year as a long haul truck driver. I love the job, but it's unhealthy so my hope is to not have to do it forever. It's rewarding to be able to make people's lives better so they don't have to travel far to get stuff they want.

I have Charles Schwab Brokerage: 28,000 invested average 32% return. Mix tech stocks, utilities, ETF. Looking to add a REIT or two for diversity. All dividends are reinvested.
Fidelity ROTH IRA 10k. 13% return high risk mutual fund
Fidelity 401k 7% payday contribution plus 3% employer match
Texas State Pension valued today at 60,000.

Expenses:
600.00 Rent
I own my car. No desire to drive flashy cars. Insurance low. I drive well and don't hit stuff.
17k available credit but I never carry balances on my revolvers. Over 700 credit score.

What I am not sure about mostly is if an early retirement is my goal should I favor my Schwab or my 401k or ROTH IRA? Right now I favor my Schwab heavily because I feel like I have most control over it. I own stocks like Microsoft, utilities like PEG and American Power Company, Intuit. My best performer so far is Mongodb, I bought at $60. Have not sold yet.

Any advice, even just a sentence long is appreciated. Thank you and stay warm! :)

Oh I forgot to add I am not currently adding anything to my ROTH IRA. It's value at about 6k right now. My 401K is also probably at like 6k

And my Schwab account I put 10% of gross earnings into that account bare minimum. More if I can. I opened that account I think July 2017 at $0. Now it's currently value at 28k.

===

It's expensive to live on the road. If I don't have the loyalty rewards points I have to spend 12-15 dollars for a shower, for example. Otherwise I could save more. My per diem is 365 a week

So it's unrealistic. I appreciate the reality check. Thank you.
I don't know if it is realistic or not.

It may take more savings than you are able to do, but....

You are talking about FIRE.

Here is a place you can go to do some reading and ask questions, getting answers that may be somewhat more helpful to you.
The Money Mustache Community - Index

I don't know if it is realistic or not.

It may take more savings than you are able to do, but....

You are talking about FIRE.

Here is a place you can go to do some reading and ask questions, getting answers that may be somewhat more helpful to you.
The Money Mustache Community - Index

Thank you so much! I will go over there and start reading. Yes, FIRE is what I am thinking about. I just looked that up.

Caveat, for this and prior post, please note, I am NOT an insurance agent.

Also, when I asked a question about Roth iras in another thread in another subsection of the forum, another agent indicated the key thing is asset allocation and suggested I read the 4 pillars of investing by Bernstein.

The Four Pillars of Investing

Moustache members will have other favorite things like the Millionaire Teacher by Hallam, or studying out the "couch potato portfolio".

pdfdrive.com for pdf's
William Bernstein
Andrew Hallam

Investing books will be a mixed bag on eBay-some will be quite inexpensive-others command textbook prices. I think you can get paper copies of those two relatively cheaply if you would rather have paper than the pdf.

Caveat, for this and prior post, please note, I am NOT an insurance agent.

Also, when I asked a question about Roth iras in another thread in another subsection of the forum, another agent indicated the key thing is asset allocation and suggested I read the 4 pillars of investing by Bernstein.

The Four Pillars of Investing

Moustache members will have other favorite things like the Millionaire Teacher by Hallam, or studying out the "couch potato portfolio".

I understand. I haven't paid for any advice yet. I am willing to do so I am just trying to get some footing. I appreciate your direction.

Back