When to move your kid to their own car insurance?

You're welcome. The information I post comes from a large cache of policy samples. I often quote policy provisions where applicable. Sometimes, like your golf scenario, risks are covered simply because they are not excluded.

I had heard that "league sports" or school sports for my kid was covered.
But I assumed non competitive events were not.

So what if I run over someone with a golf cart in the parking lot of the course? Would that be covered by homeowners?

What if someone had renters? Is renters as comprehensive as homeowners in those situations?

What if someone had renters? Is renters as comprehensive as homeowners in those situations?

The liability coverage part of an HO policy and a renters policy are basically the same.

So what if I run over someone with a golf cart in the parking lot of the course? Would that be covered by homeowners?

Yes. But with some limitations that you should be aware of if you own one.

The liability coverage for the use and operation of a golf cart is identical in both policies and applies to

A motorized golf cart that is owned by an "insured", designed to carry up to 4 persons, not built or modified after manufacture to exceed a speed of 25 miles per hour on level ground and, at the time of an "occurrence", is within the legal boundaries of:
(1) A golfing facility and is parked or stored there, or being used by an "insured" to:
(a) Play the game of golf or for other recreational or leisure activity allowed by the facility;
(b) Travel to or from an area where "motor vehicles" or golf carts are parked or stored; or
(c) Cross public roads at designated points to access other parts of the golfing facility; or
(2) A private residential community, including its public roads upon which a motorized golf cart can legally travel, which is subject to the authority of a property owners association and contains an "insured's" residence.

I had heard that "league sports" or school sports for my kid was covered.
But I assumed non competitive events were not.

Your property insurance (home/renters) follows you & your resident relatives a lot more places than you might realize for liability. Kid on bike runs into someone walking & knocks their teeth out (happened to my Dr friend while taking pictures of her Daughter at prom), 10 year neighbor of friend shot out windows in a shed, college kid left something on porch steps at college rental & guest tripped down steps & broke arm. Tons of crazy examples where liability or guest medical can come into play. But, depends on state & exact policy language

While a little more limited, you auto insurance policy in many states also follows you, your listed drivers & sometimes resident relatives to more than just accidents involving your individually insured car. It can get involved in cases where you/your listed drivers/resident relatives are driving someone else's car, permission has been extended to others to drive it, rental vehicles & even situations where any of the above are walking/riding bike/riding bus or passengers in a different car & are injured. All varies on the state & the policy language of your policy. Best to read some of those sections as to who is considered an insured & the liability coverages & exclusions.

I think if your child is independent, than you can move your kid to your own car insurance, which you take as an umbrella policy. The kid needs to take out their own car insurance policy if they have their own car and have maintained clean driving records with no outstanding tickets are open. Then it becomes easier to obtain insurance, and the premium is defined accordingly, or as a parents are willing to pay your insurance premium then it's also ok, to free children from financial burden.

I think if your child is independent, than you can move your kid to your own car insurance, which you take as an umbrella policy. The kid needs to take out their own car insurance policy if they have their own car and have maintained clean driving records with no outstanding tickets are open. Then it becomes easier to obtain insurance, and the premium is defined accordingly, or as a parents are willing to pay your insurance premium then it's also ok, to free children from financial burden.
Rolf, the kid on this scenario is a college student who is still a member of the household and returns home on semester breaks. Dad owns the car. The kid stays on the policy as a licensed driver and household resident, Dad takes out an Umbrella Policy to increase his liability protection. So long as the kid uses Dad's address as the residence an attorney could reach through any policy the kid takes out on a vehicle they don't own. And as usual, you were late to the party with incorrect advice.

Back