When to move your kid to their own car insurance?

Why do you say this (the bolded/underlined part)? Because dad controls the insurance, can assure there is an umbrella policy in place, etc.? Thanks.
Why dies he say this?
1) depending on the distance from home to school and whether she takes car to school or not, she can't be removed from the policy as an operator
2) rates as an additional driver are far less than a single operator on a jr policy
3) time for said daughter to step up and pay her share of Dad's policy. The responsibility might make her a more cautious driver
4) removing and adding back the daughter runs the risk of forgetting on a school break or long weekend
5) Unless and until SF says no renewal until she is removed you keep her in place
6) sign her up for driver improvement class if available.

Thank you to everyone who replied!

Update: her license is getting reinstated. She did pay the tickets on time... she just failed to give the dmv the receipt of payments, so they still suspended her license. (well, she paid late by the court date, but on time by the suspension date..lol)

Fortunately she is not a bad driver. Just irresponsible in keeping up with records & admin.

Got pulled over for a headlight being out. Somehow she did not have her booklet in the glovebox that holds her insurance card & registration.

Despite seeing they were all good in the system... the cop still gave her tickets for both. She could have them dropped had she just provided proof to the court... which she failed to do in time... so she was stuck paying the tickets.... ugh!!! Some peoples children! lmao. Unfortunately I know where she gets it from.

Long story short, seems like it will be adjusted moving forward and should not be a huge difference in premium as I thought it would be.

It was the suggestion about a different insurer possibly being a better fit that really threw me. I dont know enough about P&C to know how much of that was in the agents best interest or in our best interest....

Last edited:
I suspect that your young agent would like to get the high risk driver out of his office to avoid potential profitability issues with the business he writes for his employer.

That seems to be the case after thinking about the situation. I was not aware it was that large of a factor for P&C agents.

Crazy that a suspended license (for admin reasons) is considered such a huge risk. Or maybe they just dont go that deep and a suspension is a suspension is a suspension?

She has zero speeding tickets or actual moving infractions.

1 - Does she take the car with her to school? If yes, see if her location has lower rates and endorse the policy for that location while she is away.

Thanks. I will check into this. This is the only summer she will be living at home again (I think). As she has a 12mo lease on an apartment starting next school year.

3 - If SF means you are with State Farm, sign up for the Drive Safe and Save program. You'll get an electronic device that monitors everybody's cars. You'll get a phone app that will show you her score for every trip she takes.

I like this idea for her car. Dont know how much I like that for my car... lmao.

So it helps if you drive well. What happens if I drive a bit too fast on one trip? Does it use the stats to count against me?

2) rates as an additional driver are far less than a single operator on a jr policy.

You are saying that being listed as the main driver on her car, but under my policy, will most always be less expensive than her being on a standalone policy?

Somehow she did not have her booklet in the glovebox that holds her insurance card & registration.

It's critical that people keep registration and insurance card in their wallet next to their driver license at all times. Never leave identifying information in the car.

Had she done that, the issue never would have arisen.

Crazy that a suspended license (for admin reasons) is considered such a huge risk. Or maybe they just dont go that deep and a suspension is a suspension is a suspension?

It IS a huge risk. Insurance companies are allowed to immediately cancel policies when a suspension occurs. Yes, a suspension is a suspension is a suspension.

So being on my policy counts the same for prior coverage as being on her own policy?

Yes.

Thanks. I will check into this. This is the only summer she will be living at home again (I think). As she has a 12mo lease on an apartment starting next school year.

Car insurance is rated by territory (among other factors). Large cities have higher rates that small towns. Rates can even change within a city based on claims frequencies.

I like this idea for her car. Dont know how much I like that for my car... lmao.

So it helps if you drive well. What happens if I drive a bit too fast on one trip? Does it use the stats to count against me?

I think it's all or nothing for the Drive Save and Save. You get a demerit when you speed, brake too fast, go around turns too fast, or accelerate too fast. The program is a little forgiving if things happen once in a while. Happens to me occasionally but I still keep my score above 90% and the app shows discounts.

You are saying that being listed as the main driver on her car, but under my policy, will most always be less expensive than her being on a standalone policy?

Yes.

You have a multi-car discount and families are more favored by the insurance industry that single people. Insurance rates are based on statistics. Insurance companies know where ever penny of their claims dollars is going, and why. There are hundreds of factors that go into it.

I think it's all or nothing for the Drive Save and Save. You get a demerit when you speed, brake too fast, go around turns too fast, or accelerate too fast. The program is a little forgiving if things happen once in a while. Happens to me occasionally but I still keep my score above 90% and the app shows discounts.

Ha, that is a big NO. I'd have to have my wife drive mine for a year to clean mine up for a month's of my driving.

Back