Where are you finding your new hires?

DMC99

I've been looking for a new P&C (mostly personal lines) producer for about 3 months now without any luck. I've interviewed a few candidates but for one reason or another nothing has worked out. The job has been posted on LinkedIn, I have a recruiter that is actively looking for qualified candidates (and messaging them) on Linkedin as well. We also posted on Zip Recruiter. I don't think I've ever had this many issues hiring a new producer.
Where are you/have you had success in hiring new producers? Any specific source or method you have used?

Thanks ,
Mike C in Texas

Up until several years ago, we would only hire people with industry experience. More and more we need to hire people from outside the industry.

Insurance is one of the industries, similar to farming and the trades, that no one really wants to get into. We are losing people faster than we can get them. It's not a "sexy" business like being a software designer, real estate agent, or youtube star. Personally, I find making plenty of money and flexible hours in an air conditioned office plenty sexy, but that's just me.

I was laid off last March for a multitude of reasons, one being an office shutdown for Covid. I have to be honest; going to an interview for a job posted at 50-100K on Indeed only to have almost every agency owner tell me 30K or full commission has soured me on the industry. I have never minded the grind of producing but some of the quotas I have seen before any bonus is paid makes me think that there is a new breed of agency owner who is a scratch agent looking to convert policies for the producers they hire and fire.

I was laid off last March for a multitude of reasons, one being an office shutdown for Covid. I have to be honest; going to an interview for a job posted at 50-100K on Indeed only to have almost every agency owner tell me 30K or full commission has soured me on the industry. I have never minded the grind of producing but some of the quotas I have seen before any bonus is paid makes me think that there is a new breed of agency owner who is a scratch agent looking to convert policies for the producers they hire and fire.

What do you think about going 1099 indi? That's what I did, now I run everything through an LLC. It will be rough for the first few years, though.

Look at other job boards and see what is most successful in your area Indeed is a job board I definitely would look at as once you know how to work it the price for a candidate can dramatically drop. Second, Consider training a new agent outside of the industry before doing so look at outside training sources as a track to run on. Offer some guarantees upfront and the ability to increase their pay. Leave wiggle room in your comp to make sure that you are making sure your cash flow is adequate. Since a lot of this will fall upon your shoulder. You look at the long-term picture with this so give yourself realistic goals that you want this agent to hit. Focus on development, I have found in my business that the second year the agent has increased amounts. In short, recruiting is the lifeblood of any insurance agency you have to look at every aspect from sources to onboarding to comp to make sure you succeed in the long run.

Lastly, Good Luck!!!!!

Back