Who Moved My Cheese?

No doubt things are changing in our industry. I have a pretty good mix of clients in my practice. I have specialized in employee benefits.I am not a novice at this, I have been in the industry for eight years, but as I said, I know things are chaning. I enjoy selling supplemental products, largely due to the higher first year commission. I also have a descent block of major med. business. I love major med. because of the level commission. I feel like I need to concentrate on pursuing more major med. cases. Most of my major med cases have been added in time, after introducing supplemental products and building a good relation, the taking over their major medical. Since I now want to primarily purse major med business, I would like some input as to what the best approach would be.I am thinking of building a list of "x" dates in a particular industry and going from there. Any suggestions ?

No subsitute to just hopping on the phone or walking in. I would call to review their plan, take the x-date as a fall back. If you ask to review their plan, most will then tell you the x-date. But you'll also get immediate appointments.

My favorite line was always, "I wanted to call and find out if you're currently frusterated with your health insurance premiums? (left the door open to individual or group since I don't know what they have currently)

If no, move on. If yes, "tell me a little about what you are doing currently? Carrier? Type of plan?" I would then go off what they told me and try to find a reason to meet.

In my early days, I cold called businesses. I was either after a group plan, or, individual plans. This is how I built my block of business.
Getting renewal dates on group plans is a waste of time.
If you can save the group money, move them now.
The group is not locked into their current carrier until their renewal date.

I think you have to cold call.
Try to get immediate appointments and fill up the pipe line for future renewals.

Decide what is you strongest attribute as a broker and sell on that.

It sounds to me you are major medical will supplemental policies so pitch that idea to every call you make.

If you figure out something that works well please let me know because I am open to suggestions. I am grinding right now and its a slow grind on new group biz.

Back