Why Do LTC FMO's Force Updates to Go Through Them?

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello,

Why do FMO's force the agent to have updates/e-mails go through them?

I've heard "its in our contract with the carrier", "our company policy", etc.

All they do is forward the e-mail over to the agent. Thats when they get around to it, if they aren't off sick, vacation, really busy, etc. All it does is delay taking care of the problem.

Is it so they know about the business and make sure on their override?

I know they say they "add value", by forwarding an e-mail?

I know the carriers prefer it as they feel less problems this way. Or their "system" only allows 1 main contact.

I'd rather be the main contact on MY business.

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Why do FMO's force the agent to have updates/e-mails go through them?

I've heard "its in our contract with the carrier", "our company policy", etc.

All they do is forward the e-mail over to the agent. Thats when they get around to it, if they aren't off sick, vacation, really busy, etc. All it does is delay taking care of the problem.

Is it so they know about the business and make sure on their override?

I know they say they "add value", by forwarding an e-mail?

I know the carriers prefer it as they feel less problems this way. Or their "system" only allows 1 main contact.

I'd rather be the main contact on MY business.

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks in advance!

Great question.....I have the same problem.

My LTC carriers also are bound "by contract" to send the policy/email to the FMO who could care less about any of my LTC business. Before I was set up on EFT, they would mail my commission checks and statements to the FMO, who either lost them or sat on them for weeks before ever mailing them out. Everything is terribly delayed and totally stupid. I call the carrier, and that is where you get the sympathy response, of "we'd love to send it to you directly, but by contract we have to send it to the FMO." Then the FMO says that they have no way to do anything else and do not understand why the carrier said what they said. Circle jerk

Hey....its a pyramid scheme....so get used to it. :D Maybe we just have the wrong FMO? Choose one with a LTC focus and you will do much better. Looking forward to other's responses.

Hello Never,

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by a "better" FMO?

Are you saying you know of one that lets you be the main "contact" on your e-mails/updates on business from the carriers? (that I consider a start at being better).

When you have lots of applications in the pipline these e-mails/updates become a real issue for me.

I have not found one that I would consider "good" yet and I have been in business 13 years and I have talked to quite a few, so I am all ears.

What FMO are you associated with and/or consider "good"?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back