Why is CIP Still Allowed to Exist?

They are liked by many of my members and I am still writing for them. What's your beef?

Well, they're owned by United. That's enough to hate them in my book. It just seems odd that CMS sends those deficiency letters to CIP members year after year. Yet, they're still allowed to stay in business. I hope that the annual correspondence merry go round is not being paid by taxpayers.

From where exactly do you think CMS receives its funding?

I would imagine that the bulk of its funding comes from fees that are assessed to the insurance cos and some from the taxpayers. You could argue of course that these fee costs trickle down as less benefit/ higher costs for members (and less commish to agents). CMS should bill UHC for the merry go round costs passed down as the costs of doing bad business.

I would imagine that the bulk of its funding comes from fees that are assessed to the insurance cos and some from the taxpayers. You could argue of course that these fee costs trickle down as less benefit/ higher costs for members (and less commish to agents). CMS should bill UHC for the merry go round costs passed down as the costs of doing bad business.

It was a rhetorical question.

The Centers for MEDICARE and MEDICAID Services is a branch of Health and Human Services. Every employed person pays 1.45% and the employer pays 1.45% of wages. Those on Medicare Part B pay a minimum of $104.90 per month. Medicaid comes directly from tax payers. So whether it's from the tax on wages or other taxes allocated for Medicaid, the money comes from tax payers.

Back