Why Isn't Plan C Medigap Policy More Popular???

Just bumping this thread for reference.

I have just received the "overthinking advisory" (again :D ). :GEEK:

It was also suggested that I made a (possibly inappropriate) comment out of inexperience. I am perfectly capable of doing that, and have done it, but that situation was not one of those/these times.

The comment was meant to show that I had, immediately after posting the question, seen a reference to another relevant thread and taken the trouble to read and develop at least a partial answer to my own question.

Reference post 10 in this thread for authority. :jimlad:

Reference also posts 2, 6 and 8 for other useful background.

Just bumping this thread for reference.

I have just received the "overthinking advisory" (again :D ). :GEEK:

It was also suggested that I made a (possibly inappropriate) comment out of inexperience. I am perfectly capable of doing that, and have done it, but that situation was not one of those/these times.

The comment was meant to show that I had, immediately after posting the question, seen a reference to another relevant thread and taken the trouble to read and develop at least a partial answer to my own question.

Reference post 10 in this thread for authority. :jimlad:

Reference also posts 2, 6 and 8 for other useful background.

He's saying a few years ago and I may have only been at this for 8 years but even 8 years ago I never heard of anyone selling C. Now if the cost was low enough compared to F, sure go for it. But $1-5 isn't moving the needle for me.

I was dealing with a nice old lady today that had a United Healthcare Medigap plan C.

She wasn't happy about the pricing and I was able to move her into a Plan G at a lower price...but that got me wondering.

Plan C is not a bad idea...but I know only of only one Company that currently sells it and I'm not sure if it's even sold in all states.

I can understand the popularity of F of course, and G has some advantages over F and C....but any reason why Plan C has never been a popular plan or some reason why more companies don't sell it???

More curious than anything. Thanks.

I have sold med supps since 1992 and back then before the limiting charge of 15% was implemented there use to be a bigger difference in premium between F and C - i would sell 2 to 1 plan c over f

A few years ago Plan C was the most popular out there. Then the companies decided they wanted to promote Plan F, so they started giving out more commission for Plan F. Once that started, Plan F became to most popular plan. Imagine that!

I have a different theory.

C was the most popular plan years when the lettered plans were first offered. It was significantly less expensive than F and almost as good.

However, eventually that policy got more expensive as those policyholders got older and started utilizing more services.

So do we now have all the "usual suspects"?

Insurors varying commission compensation for different plan categories.

Legislation and/or regulation minimizing or eliminating the uniqueness of variation between plans.

Increasing plan utilization increasing claim $ paid out increasing plan premiums paid in.

I was dealing with a nice old lady today that had a United Healthcare Medigap plan C.

She wasn't happy about the pricing and I was able to move her into a Plan G at a lower price...but that got me wondering.

Plan C is not a bad idea...but I know only of only one Company that currently sells it and I'm not sure if it's even sold in all states.

I can understand the popularity of F of course, and G has some advantages over F and C....but any reason why Plan C has never been a popular plan or some reason why more companies don't sell it???

More curious than anything. Thanks.

$1 difference, but even more importantly, the confusion. Plan C? Part C? Omg don't even want to deal with the confusion that creates with the seniors! :goofy::no::swoon::no::goofy::swoon::no:

A few years ago Plan C was the most popular out there. Then the companies decided they wanted to promote Plan F, so they started giving out more commission for Plan F. Once that started, Plan F became to most popular plan. Imagine that!

That is truly a mystery.. I don't know of any agent that would base their decision on what to write based on how much commission they receive. Their only concern is what is best for the client.

I don't know of any agent that would base their decision on what to write based on how much commission they receive.

I can come up with more than one without breaking a sweat.

I have a different theory.

C was the most popular plan years when the lettered plans were first offered. It was significantly less expensive than F and almost as good.

However, eventually that policy got more expensive as those policyholders got older and started utilizing more services.

That is truly a mystery.. I don't know of any agent that would base their decision on what to write based on how much commission they receive. Their only concern is what is best for the client.

Okay, I did leave out the part about the rates for Plan C going up, which is what started the ball rolling, but the point I was trying to make is that the companies really started pushing plan F by offering more commission. I think it would have naturally gravitated toward Plan F, but the companies must have thought they needed to push it.

Back