Why Lead Vendors Are Stupid

Dave020

Super Moderator
California
So some schmuck calls me this morning about some lead service and live transfer service.

Typical sales douche, all talk no listen.

When I told him my niche markets and production in those markets I got the "guess I should be impressed, but I'm not, click" line.

My point was that I need specific types of leads, not that I am a great agent. This douche missed it completely because he's all talk, no listen.

Vendors, I bet there are leads that come in that end up getting credit back to agents (uninsurable) and thrown in the trash. Some of those may be salvageable leads to the right agent working the the right market.

Teach your *** sales people to freaking listen instead of trying to belittle people and you might make a few bucks off of leads you thought you couldn't. I have yet to be solicited by one of your douche sales people who even considered the idea that they might be sitting on dead leads that may not necessarily be dead leads.

Or, just keep pile-driving newbies into buying your services and the niche market leads end up coming to me anyway. You just didn't make a couple bucks on them first.

So some schmuck calls me this morning about some lead service and live transfer service.

When I told him my niche markets and production in those markets I got the "guess I should be impressed, but I'm not, click" line.

My point was that I need specific types of leads, not that I am a great agent. This douche missed it completely because he's all talk, no listen.

Vendors, I bet there are leads that come in that end up getting credit back to agents (uninsurable) and thrown in the trash. Some of those may be salvageable leads to the right agent working the the right market.

Teach your *** sales people to freaking listen instead of trying to belittle people and you might make a few bucks off of leads you thought you couldn't. I have yet to be solicited by one of your douche sales people who even considered the idea that they might be sitting on dead leads that may not necessarily be dead leads.

Or, just keep pile-driving newbies into buying your services and the niche market leads end up coming to me anyway. You just didn't make a couple bucks on them first.

Can't argue against your impression of the sales staff at lead companies, but uninsurable leads don't get credited back or "thrown in the trash". If an agent doesn't choose to filter out uninsurable leads, they pay for them when/if they get them. If a consumer lies on the on-line form they fill out (says they're insurable but aren't, etc.), they may sometimes be credited back, but there is no way for a vendor to identify those in real-time anyhow. And, finally, there are TONS of agents who specifically want those leads.

Who Cares?

Why do I (or anyone on this forum for that matter) care about some salesperson calling you?

cb85 - you should listen to what he wrote....

I get this all the time. I used to want drivers who had expired licenses, suspended licenses, multiple DUI's, etc. Not so much because they are ideal clients, but because nobody else was marketing to them (at the time). Every company wanted to sell me the overly subscribed to preferred prospect. Yes, much better client, but a big hassle dealing with the other 4-6, no more than 8 agents calling the same client.

If you take the time to call, take the time to listen to the person you are talking with.

Dave - In your case, he had NO idea what you were talking about. It was a good chance for him to learn, but he didn't take it.

Dan

You cared enough to take (or waste) your time responding LOL

Who Cares?

Why do I (or anyone on this forum for that matter) care about some salesperson calling you?

Maybe they need a sales trainer? ha ha

I agree, many don't listen, but just like many agents they (lead reps) don't know the first thing about sales, meaning the skills involved, they figure they have leads that agents need so they can sell, just like
agents have insurance that clients need, so selling insurance should be easy right? Uh, not exactly.

:err:

When I first went independent, I trained myself to let the prospect talk, listen attentively, and say as few words as were necessary.

I discovered that in almost every instance, there came a point when the prospect would indicate which product or products he/she was interested in buying. It didn't matter what I thought they should buy, or what I intended to sell them. I also found that pushing too hard on what they don't want to buy would lead to them not buying anything--at least from me.

My point of writing this thread (besides being a little po-ed at the time for which I apologize) is that agents need to see that people selling TO agents are often poorly trained in sales and poor listeners. If the agent sees the mistakes, it can help them to understand not to make the same mistakes in their own business. If the seller sees the mistakes (why I brought it up here for them to see), perhaps they can evaluate how they approach and work with agents, especially those who have been in business for more than a few years.

The person who called me assumed that all insurance agents were the same, had a one-size-fits-all product and was determined that the product was a fit for everyone. Instead of listening and saying 'oh, you work in niche markets, maybe we have something for that" he chose to belittle. Unprofessional, poor salesmanship and the guy is a douche.

Don't make the same mistake when you are selling insurance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And, finally, there are TONS of agents who specifically want those leads.
I am in health insurance. I seriously doubt there are agents clammoring for leads with active cancer, pregnant or with fybromyalgia.

The point is that in the current CA environment, I'd would seriously consider buying certain dead leads like that who were either losing COBRA soon (and ill) or uninsured for at least the last 6 months and uninsurable.

Last edited:
Back