Why would my insurance cancel my policy two years after accident?

cmorten82

I had two accidents in 2018. On one no claim was filed by the person whom I hit and the other was a claim for me swiping a mirror which it was found that I was at fault for. Both of those accidents happened in early 2018 after which we thought we would see our insurance rates increase but instead they started to decrease. Today (January, 2 2020) we were notified that our insurance company is cancelling our policy due to those two accidents that happened in 2018 and when we spoke to our agent he was even puzzled as to why we would have been cancelled. Our insurance is State Farm and it is a home/auto package. My first question is why would they drop us two years later? Is this a black mark against us when trying to get insured by another company? Is this a norm within the industry? Can we dispute it? I just feel a little bitter about how this was handled and want to know if I have any cause for action or if I just need to suck it up and move on. Thanks!

Please be more accurate. Were you cancelled or non-renewed. There's a big difference. Cancellation occurs during the policy term and is strictly limited by your state laws (ORS 742.562).

ORS 742.562 - Grounds for cancellation of policies - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

Non-renewal occurs at the end of the policy term and more liberally allowed by your state laws (742.566).

ORS 742.566 - Renewal of policies - 2017 Oregon Revised Statutes

why would they drop us two years later? When we spoke to our agent he was even puzzled as to why we would have been cancelled

He's puzzled? He can't call up the underwriter and ask why it took so long?

Is this a black mark against us when trying to get insured by another company?

Your next insurance company will, unfortunately, take into consideration the non-renewal as well as the two accidents.

Is this a norm within the industry?

Not the norm, but not unheard of.

Can we dispute it?

I doubt it.

want to know if I have any cause for action

Lawsuit? Complaint to the insurance department? Something else? Nothing that will change anything.

or if I just need to suck it up and move on.

Yeah, that. Sorry.

I had two accidents in 2018. On one no claim was filed by the person whom I hit and the other was a claim for me swiping a mirror which it was found that I was at fault for. Both of those accidents happened in early 2018 after which we thought we would see our insurance rates increase but instead they started to decrease. Today (January, 2 2020) we were notified that our insurance company is cancelling our policy due to those two accidents that happened in 2018 and when we spoke to our agent he was even puzzled as to why we would have been cancelled. Our insurance is State Farm and it is a home/auto package. My first question is why would they drop us two years later? Is this a black mark against us when trying to get insured by another company? Is this a norm within the industry? Can we dispute it? I just feel a little bitter about how this was handled and want to know if I have any cause for action or if I just need to suck it up and move on. Thanks!

I think you mean non renewal. I had State Farm and they kick me out twice due to accidents and I'm back with them again. They got some unbeatable prices for high coverage. Check out progressive

Back