Will Employees Eventually Sue Employers for Offering Health Insurance

hamben

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Will employees eventually sue employers for offering benefits?

As premiums continue to rise and become more and more unaffordable does the family glitch open up the employers to potential law suits for disqualifying employees and there dependents from qualifying for tax credits?

The family glitch is cost shifting thousands of dollars in costs to employees simply because the employer is offering benefits.
If the employer offers coverage disqualifying the employee and dependents from tax credits. Dose that then give the employee the ability to recover damages from the employer.

Think about a large corporation like hobby lobby that has thousands of lower income employees. Hobby lobby offers benefits and pays a portion of the employees cost. Employees can add a family plan for about $9000 a year. If hobby lobby didn't offer coverage the family would qualify for $10,000 in tax credits.

Class action law suit for the $10,000 in damages the employees suffered in lost tax credits simply because the employer offered a group insurance plan.

What are your thoughts?

NO.

Are you kidding? Large employers are FINED if they don't offer coverage. The Dems pretend that they didn't know about the family glitch when they created this law, but they did. It was made that way to make the CBO lower the taxpayer cost.

Do you sue an employer for offering you a raise, and then you can't qualify for food stamps? Or covering you for Worker's Comp, and then you can't qualify for Disability?

I agree Ann, but the unintended consequences of the ACA could cause it to happen.

All it wil take is one disgruntled employee and one aggressive lawyer to figure out what is happening.
The question becomes what are the employers responsibility to the employees.
We all no the family glitch is hurting employees and dependents. Or how about the unions reponsabilities to members? Unions negotiate benifits and then cause a family glitch. Who's to blame ? The employer or the Union for giving up the rights to tax credits?

I don't think the law has ever been look at from this perspective but I think it is certainly going to be a lot of billable hours for lawyers.

----------

I think the difference is Employers are not paying for dependent coverage but are disqualifying them from tax credits. What choice do the depends have?

I agree Ann, but the unintended consequences of the ACA could cause it to happen.

All it wil take is one disgruntled employee and one aggressive lawyer to figure out what is happening.
The question becomes what are the employers responsibility to the employees.
We all no the family glitch is hurting employees and dependents. Or how about the unions reponsabilities to members? Unions negotiate benifits and then cause a family glitch. Who's to blame ? The employer or the Union for giving up the rights to tax credits?

I don't think the law has ever been look at from this perspective but I think it is certainly going to be a lot of billable hours for lawyers.

----------

I think the difference is Employers are not paying for dependent coverage but are disqualifying them from tax credits. What choice do the depends have?

Tell them to vote for Hillary. She already said that she is going to fix the family glitch..... ;)

The question becomes what are the employers responsibility to the employees... Or how about the unions reponsabilities to members? Unions negotiate benifits and then cause a family glitch. Who's to blame ? The employer or the Union for giving up the rights to tax credits?

Maybe the dependents will sue their parent for taking a job that disqualifies them for APTC. After all, the parents had a choice to take another job without benefits.
:no:

Maybe the dependents will sue their parent for taking a job that disqualifies them for APTC. After all, the parents had a choice to take another job without benefits.
:no:

Maybe my generation should sue our parents if they didn't pay to send us to college?

After all, they could have just taken a job that makes more money so they could pay for it. It's costing these kids hundreds of thousands of dollars over their lifetimes.

Maybe my generation should sue our parents if they didn't pay to send us to college?

After all, they could have just taken a job that makes more money so they could pay for it. It's costing these kids hundreds of thousands of dollars over their lifetimes.

I like this one: maybe agents will sue because we got our license in the first place and had no idea it was an entire industry full of tricks, games, and lies.

I like this one: maybe agents will sue because we got our license in the first place and had no idea it was an entire industry full of tricks, games, and lies.

Heck, we can't even sue to get what we're contracted to receive...

That co-op that went out of business never paid the q1 bonus, and is about 3 months behind on commission.

Another company just announced that any business submitted after 11/6 will be getting a $6 flat fee (down from $12-26 depending on tier) because brokers sent them too much business during the beginning of open enrollment.

Back