Working the Defector List

zimm118

Hi my name is garrett im new to the insurance business. I am working for my grandpa as a producer and he wants me to work the defector list. I am looking for any helpful tips on how to do this effectively any advice is appreciated
thanks, garrett

its the cancellation list the list of people that have cancelled. Ive always heard people call it the defector list

Hi my name is garrett im new to the insurance business. I am working for my grandpa as a producer and he wants me to work the defector list. I am looking for any helpful tips on how to do this effectively any advice is appreciated
thanks, garrett

Why don't you ask grandpa?

Ah.

Not a P&C agent, but I would do it as brutally honest.

"Hi Mr. Johnson, this is Bob over at Hometown Home and Auto. I saw you recently cancelled your insurance through us. I wanted to call and ask if there is anything we could have done differently? Is there anything I can do to earn your business back?"

That, and get a very thick skin. Most will probably be price, some will be service issues and will give you what for.

First thing you need to know is WHY did they cancel and what have you done to change it?

Did they cancel due to rates? Have you added new competitive carriers?

Did they cancel due to service, well, then you probaly dont have much of a chance....

I would work up quotes with the info you have and mail that to them also....

Working the defectors list (and yes, that's what its called) is not the easiest place to start, but sometimes can be profitable.

Face it, if the agency did something wrong and they left, you won't win them back. I've seen this where phone calls weren't returned, claims didn't go right, whatever. Those people are gone, don't waste a lot of time trying to fix the problem, let time do that.

On the other hand, many times it cancelled simply because they missed payments, got sidetracked, whatever. It's worth calling, checking with them to see if they still need coverage and go from there

What I do is simply call with something like:
Mrs Jones, I've noticed your auto policy isn't in force anymore. I wanted to take a minute and call you to make sure everything is okay and to see if I can help you get that back in place.....

Make sure you note in the management system you made this call. Don't be afraid of saying the policy is out of force, try to come across like it was a minor oversight and you can help them correct it. If they laugh at you, well, move on. Do try to see if you can find out what didn't work.

Mrs Jones, I'm sorry to hear you had a problem that we failed to help you with. I want to make sure we don't do that again. Can you tell me what we did or didn't do to your satisfaction?

Then listen....

Don't take any of it personally. I've had people cancel because they said I didn't return calls. I checked, not only did I not have any messages from them, I couldn't find any record they called. But, they felt they did, I had to move on. You can learn a lot of stuff by listening. Many won't talk to you, some will, its definitely worth making the calls.

Dan

Back