Would You Join Farmers

Honestly I really wish I was producing for an indy agency so I wouldn't lose so many deals over rates, but I haven't met one yet that would give me such a generous split without charging me for office space etc...

I'm a 4th year agent for Farmers next month. I would say any insurance company has it's ups and downs.

It really depends on the market you live in. In Texas it is very lucrative to be an Agent with Farmers due to the high home premiums. If you live in Utah where homes are a 1/3 of Texas than I'd pick being an independent since you can close more policies.

I'm currently at ~2500 policies and am getting killed with renewals though. My retention ratio is around 84% right now due to our extremely high renewal increases.

It all depends on how well you can sell and how well you can market though.

Agree with Todd02.

Farmers agents have almost always led with Homeowners over Auto, even back in the day when I was with them [1994/1995, order of the Blue Vase winner!]
Today, I talk to many Farmers agents....some knocking the ball out of the park & some saying the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Basically, the same as Allstate/State Farm agents:) Some are always killing it & others whining about why they can't do it. A fact of life since I started back in 1985 as an IA.

IMHO, Allstate has the better contract over Farmers but....I'm not 100% up on the new contracts with both companies. Allstate definitely starts a newbie agent out in better financial condition, even today IMHO.

So if I was interested in Farmers, I'd also look at Allstate & vice versa....before making a decision.

But, my advice & a buck, might buy you a cheap cup of coffee if you're lucky!
[FYI: Started IA in CA/1985, Farmers in CA/1994-'95, Allstate in KY/'95-'01, Allstate TN/'01-'06, HometownQuotes: '94 - present]

Agree with Todd02.

Farmers agents have almost always led with Homeowners over Auto, even back in the day when I was with them [1994/1995, order of the Blue Vase winner!]
Today, I talk to many Farmers agents....some knocking the ball out of the park & some saying the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

Basically, the same as Allstate/State Farm agents:) Some are always killing it & others whining about why they can't do it. A fact of life since I started back in 1985 as an IA.

IMHO, Allstate has the better contract over Farmers but....I'm not 100% up on the new contracts with both companies. Allstate definitely starts a newbie agent out in better financial condition, even today IMHO.

So if I was interested in Farmers, I'd also look at Allstate & vice versa....before making a decision.

But, my advice & a buck, might buy you a cheap cup of coffee if you're lucky!
[FYI: Started IA in CA/1985, Farmers in CA/1994-'95, Allstate in KY/'95-'01, Allstate TN/'01-'06, HometownQuotes: '94 - present]

Bib a rolling stone gathers no moss

Bob a rolling stone gathers no moss

Well said:)

My tenure with HometownQuotes.com is soon becoming the longest "job" I've ever had....yet I have no intentions of "rolling on" at this point in my life. 54 years young & having the most Fun ever doing life with my friends/staff here at Hometown!

It is a Fact that one can be successful at Farmers, Allstate, State Farm or as an IA. Life, Health, MedSup, Home, Auto, Commercial agent.

As a famous pastor once said: "Find God's will for your life & get in it!"

Then, no matter the storm's that life throws at you, you will be satisfied as you know you are where God wants you to be.

That is how I look at HometownQuotes.com. I'm exactly where I need to be, doing what I need to do.

To those non-religious...I'm sorry, but I don't know any other way to express my thoughts here.

Blessings all!

Bob

Honestly I really wish I was producing for an indy agency so I wouldn't lose so many deals over rates, but I haven't met one yet that would give me such a generous split without charging me for office space etc...

If you have found an independent that offered you a no rent opportunity with a smaller split, it will most likely be worth it just by your closing rate going up because you have more options rather than 1 company

as a general rule of thumb, if you have one carrier, you can close 1 out of 10 prospects, the more carriers you have the higher your chances at a close

Well said:)

My tenure with HometownQuotes.com is soon becoming the longest "job" I've ever had....yet I have no intentions of "rolling on" at this point in my life. 54 years young & having the most Fun ever doing life with my friends/staff here at Hometown!

It is a Fact that one can be successful at Farmers, Allstate, State Farm or as an IA. Life, Health, MedSup, Home, Auto, Commercial agent.

As a famous pastor once said: "Find God's will for your life & get in it!"

Then, no matter the storm's that life throws at you, you will be satisfied as you know you are where God wants you to be.

That is how I look at HometownQuotes.com. I'm exactly where I need to be, doing what I need to do.

To those non-religious...I'm sorry, but I don't know any other way to express my thoughts here.

Blessings all!

Bob

Bob, I understand where you are coming from. I have enjoyed three major successful careers. However, mine were all in different industries almost unrelated and I have had a blast with all of them. Personally, I think one should find something we enjoy and that is where God wants us. If we make tons of money great or if we just make a decent living.

Back