65M-Neuropathy Feet-LTC And/or Alternative Plan Ideas?

CALTCAgent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Hello,

I am thinking this would be considered "progressing" (a decline for traditional LTC per underwriting guides) because he started taking gabapentin 1 year ago for neuropathy of unknown cause.

Sound like not worth a shot for traditional LTC? (if yes, company?)

Any helpful Ideas, thoughts?

You can e-mail direct if you prefer that, thanks!

Health history & medications:

65, Male, 5'-11", 225 lbs.

1. Lisinopril, HBP

2. Simvastatin-cholesterol

3. Gabapentin - Neuropathy feet-unknown cause, started medication 1 year ago, has had neuropthy for 10 years, feet. Fully mobile and functioning, no assistance devices.

4. Zoloft-depression-mild-taking for several years.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am thinking this would be considered "progressing" (a decline for traditional LTC per underwriting guides) because he started taking gabapentin 1 year ago for neuropathy of unknown cause. He did say the feeling in his foot was "different" than before, hence the medication prescribed.

Sound like not worth a shot for traditional LTC? (if yes, company?)

Any LTC "alternatives" that are 10 pay or more that I might consider?

Any helpful Ideas, thoughts?

You can e-mail direct if you prefer that, thanks!

Health history & medications:

65, Male, 5'-11", 225 lbs.

1. Lisinopril, HBP

2. Simvastatin-cholesterol

3. Gabapentin - Neuropathy feet-unknown cause, started medication 1 year ago, has had neuropthy for 10 years, feet. Fully mobile and functioning, no assistance devices.

4. Zoloft-depression-mild-taking for several years.

does he work?
does he own his own biz?

None of those conditions are necessarily declinable on their own with anyone. Its what's in the medical records that might get you. We'll assume no diabetes of course. Else, he sounds standard with Genworth, Hancock, TA, Omaha.........

Just an opinion....and what it say in the guides

does he work?
does he own his own biz?

No business and retired.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
None of those conditions are necessarily declinable on their own with anyone. Its what's in the medical records that might get you. We'll assume no diabetes of course. Else, he sounds standard with Genworth, Hancock, TA, Omaha.........

Just an opinion....and what it say in the guides

They all say progressive is decline. Underwriters tell me they feel its progressive otherwise he wouldn't have needed to take a medication after 9 years. They do say I can apply.

Last edited:
Depending on the cause, neuropathy by itself is not necessarily an automatic decline. If the cause is a complication of diabetes, and it's classified as "mild and non-progressive" only MedAmerica will consider, as long as there are no other complcations.

Gabapentin is an anti-epileptic medication, so there's something going on there that needs clarification.

Lisinopril is used to treat high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, and to improve survival after a heart attack. You need to confirm that he's using it only to treat his hypertension.

If it's prescribed for hypertension, it should not be a problem as long as his blood pressure is stable and within accepted limits. Mild depression (well controlled with no recent change of meds) and cholesterol are also not problems.

The issue is his neuropathy and why is he taking an anti-convulsive medication? If he does have neuropathy, the underwriters will want to know the cause. You state it's cause is unknown and if that's the case, it will most likely be an automatic decline.

My advise is to get a medical release from his doctor prior to submitting an app. Let the underwriters take a look and let you know upfront whether this guy has a shot or not. My guess is 'No', particularily since you're most likely limited to MedAmerica and their underwriters are pretty tough.

Good luck.......

I had a person in NY taking gabapentin for nueropathy in her feet. I did extensive pre qual and I couldn't submit her anywhere. The UW's explained... everyone's balance gets a little worse as they age.. Just part of the aging process. When one has neuropathy in their feet their balance issues will be an even bigger issue than your average aging person. We all know falling is a major concern to UW. I think your only options are Critical Illness insurance or life with ABR.

My advise is to get a medical release from his doctor prior to submitting an app. Let the underwriters take a look and let you know upfront whether this guy has a shot or not. My guess is 'No', particularily since you're most likely limited to MedAmerica and their underwriters are pretty tough.

Good luck.......

How do you do this without an LTC application?

I have been told the underwriters will only look at a case with an completed application.

Back