A dying agents warning ‼️

Can't get an MRI approved x2. Doc finally put in a prior auth for surgery. Denied because she hasn't had an MRI.

A conundrum . . .

Of course this contradicts my earlier post saying someone with an MA may not find the copay/coinsurance affordable. In this case, she has no copay . . . because she has no coverage . . .

Monetarily affordable but the cost of being in pain can take its' toll as well.

From the article (bolding is mine):

"What I recommend to people is, if they’re looking for another option that’s cost-effective, go to a high deductible plan, high deductible F or G, depending upon when they’re born,” Harper said."

No High Deductibles...

WE WANT TO MAKE AN HONEST WEEK'S PAY FOR AN HONEST DAY'S WORK

Is that too much to ask for?

Depending on where you live that warning might be appropriate. It depends on where you live with respect to the quality of cancer care you will get. Living in the state with the worst health care in the nation my second opinion an 8 hour drive away (this was 13 years ago) was life saving as locally they had not even heard of the treatment I got. It had (per research) a better outcome rather than the older standard of care they were using locally. If you had access via your MAP to a really good health care system and got cancer likely your experience would be radically different than what goes on here where you'd not be able to get a second opinion at anywhere that is any good.

Depending on where you live that warning might be appropriate. It depends on where you live with respect to the quality of cancer care you will get. Living in the state with the worst health care in the nation my second opinion an 8 hour drive away (this was 13 years ago) was life saving as locally they had not even heard of the treatment I got. It had (per research) a better outcome rather than the older standard of care they were using locally. If you had access via your MAP to a really good health care system and got cancer likely your experience would be radically different than what goes on here where you'd not be able to get a second opinion at anywhere that is any good.

Same can be said for Original Medicare. The idea that someone living in rural America can just up and travel to the best cancer center in the country is for the most part ridiculous

Same can be said for Original Medicare. The idea that someone living in rural America can just up and travel to the best cancer center in the country is for the most part ridiculous
The difference is IF you have money with original medicare, presuming they accept it (and most of the best cancer centers in the nation do, those also mostly accept just a few local MAPs) then you CAN do it in any state you want to. With MAPs the limited network (especially if it is out of state, although in this state many of the MAP's cover you in just a few counties) may mean that even if you have the money to travel there if they are not in network then your costs are astronomical.

"BuT, BuT MaYo CLiniC aNd MdAndErson!!!" As if those are the only two good hospitals in the country. It's 2024, folks, not 1987. There are tons of hospitals that now grade just as high, if not higher than these two hospitals.

Moreover, as straightnochaser alluded to, 99.9% of people will never step foot in these two hospitals for anything. Either due to the location being too far, and/or it being too expensive to travel too.

I know you supp-only folks have fear to sell, but let's try to inject at least a little common sense in the equation, too. The average person, even if they have a supplement, simply could not afford everything else involved in going to these places.

Let's be real.....99% of people are going to hospitals or facilities that are no more than 30 miles from their house. In a worst case scenario......70-100.

"BuT, BuT MaYo CLiniC aNd MdAndErson!!!" As if those are the only two good hospitals in the country. It's 2024, folks, not 1987. There are tons of hospitals that now grade just as high, if not higher than these two hospitals.

Moreover, as straightnochaser alluded to, 99.9% of people will never step foot in these two hospitals for anything. Either due to the location being too far, and/or it being too expensive to travel too.

I know you supp-only folks have fear to sell, but let's try to inject at least a little common sense in the equation, too. The average person, even if they have a supplement, simply could not afford everything else involved in going to these places.

Let's be real.....99% of people are going to hospitals or facilities that are no more than 30 miles from their house. In a worst case scenario......70-100.
When you live in the state (MS) with the worst medical care in the nation where NO hospital system in the state is any good in 99% of the cities this presents a real problem. In states with good health care spread all over most of the state the issue is different.

Back