A Little Good News from BCBS TX

Aw c'mon, AllenChicago already won the bet! We have underwriting and 20% (or more) commission on short-term plans at this very moment. He didn't say it would be underwriting on every type of plan for every type of client. After all, his most recent post said, "The government can continue to assist those who must pay through the roof, because of their poor health."

So, send the man the bottle of Grey Goose.

:laugh:BINGO! We have a WINNER! AWESOME ANNE HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!:D

And not just STM. US Health will once again be LEGAL health insurance. Another fast-and-nimble company is preparing to resurrect their 2010 plans and compensation schedule. Repealing the ACA is a BIG PHUCKIN DEAL FOLKS! Get ready to RUMBULLLLL!

Last edited:
I certainly hope that underwriting is not the formal replacement plan for our country! And I really doubt that it would be Congress's choice. At least not intentionally. I'm pretty sure that any replacement plan idea from Congress would include guarantee issue and no pre-ex wait, or at least a modified style of that.

However, there is a real threat of us going 3 years without a solid replacement plan. As of this writing (December 2016), that is what top Republicans are telling us.

In a case like that, with a collapsing IFP market, consumers have to go somewhere. Normally private enterprise comes up with a product that meets the need. Right now it's a tortured product. Short Term Medical, Fixed Indemnity, Critical Illness, Accident, etc. are poor replacements. Sharing Ministry is a poor replacement. Underwriting is allowed on all of those products. It wouldn't take much for a carrier to upgrade the product to be similar to the Major Medical of yesteryear, at yesteryear's prices. It's a supply and demand issue.

Could it happen? Yes. So, if you are going to bet, then the next question becomes, "What is the probability?"

In 2016 the likelihood was tiny.

With 2017 rate increases, STM sales went up and the likelihood was a tiny bit bigger.

By the Summer of 2017 the likelihood remained slim indeed.

After the November 8th election, the likelihood became much, much greater. As of this writing (December 2016), we stand at a cliff, with a collapsing Obamacare market, very few carriers, huge rate increases, and no solid idea for the future. The likelihood just shot up like a roller coaster.

If the new Republican leadership REPLACES the system in totality by 1/1/2018 the likelihood of STM and underwrting becomes very small again.

If they Repeal & Delay (the current rumor), the likelihood of STM and underwriting becomes great again.

If they Repeal by torturing Obamacare, administratively defunding and removing parts of it, without replacing it, the likelihood becomes very very great again.

But any way you cook it, underwriting and 20% commission is here, right now. I sincerely doubt that it would be the intentional Replacement system for the future, but there is no way I would bet against something that is REALITY at the very moment and has a very good possibility of being wide-sweeping reality in the next few years, given that the new Congress does not have a solid replacement plan yet.

I'm sure someone is going to criticize me and talk about how STM and ancillary are poor products. I know that. I sell very, very, very little of it, and only when it fits the situation well and the client has made a clear, well informed choice. These posts are not about whether or not STM or FI are good replacements. It's about the fact that underwriting is here right now, and the product pays 20% (or more) commission.

Back