A Little Vent About Getting Out of this Biz

have been selling life insurance part-time for three years now
I feel like a failure at this point even though I know deep down it's not my fault. It really has me wanting to throw in the towel.

Honestly not sure if you are serious?

he other one got all upset when I told her her driving record was hurting our efforts. She told me that was just stupid even after I explained the risks of her behavior.
. I have been selling life insurance part-time for three years now and honestly the type of people I get take a long time to find an agency "fit"...

You cant see these are not the people looking for life ins? I mean life Ins is not a necessity it is a luxury, I highly doubt a low income mother of 6 spends any time thinking hey I need to get a life insurance policy, When she probably has a hard time getting clothes and food for her kids

If you are serious you should think about changing the type of prospect you are looking for

The other way to go with low income folks like this... is an accidental death, or just an accident policy in general.

At least it would cover drive-by's and other crud... as long as the insured wasn't committing a felony themselves.

It's not true life insurance... but it would be something.

Why not just sell them a FE policy? (simplified or guaranteed issue)
Get $20k or $30k on them and move on. At least it will get them a decent burial.

I mostly lurk so please don't pay any mind to my posting history. I also read the inbox emails daily which contain a lot of valuable information/conversations.

I work with very poor people who probably need some form of life insurance the most. Well the last two clients were really difficult. One was 28 and had a driving record of a 70 year old with a dozen DUI's...the other had her license revoked. No one would touch them. I am embarrassed I was unable to help them yet angry that they put themselves in this situation. The one with the revoked license drives every day...I see her at my day job and was actually shocked when she first rolled up in her van. I have since gotten used to it. :no: I asked her to fix her driving situation and she wanted to know why was that important. The other one got all upset when I told her her driving record was hurting our efforts. She told me that was just stupid even after I explained the risks of her behavior. She then went on to say she'll go online and get a little policy which I'm not sure if even that will work at this point. I'd really like her to get coverage b/c she's a single mom of six small kids.

I just question if this is really for me. I have been selling life insurance part-time for three years now and honestly the type of people I get take a long time to find an agency "fit"...

I also work with an experienced agent with over 25 years experience and even he was unable to help me with these two.

Can anyone else relate? What do you do in these situations? Should I just forget about these two and move on? I feel like a failure at this point even though I know deep down it's not my fault. It really has me wanting to throw in the towel.

Not deep down or even on the surface. You did not break it. It is their problem. You can offer solutions to their problem. That is what we do. We offer solutions, not fixes.

The other way to go with low income folks like this... is an accidental death, or just an accident policy in general.

At least it would cover drive-by's and other crud... as long as the insured wasn't committing a felony themselves.

It's not true life insurance... but it would be something.

That is one f$$$ ked up comment about the drive-by's and other crud!!! Low income people need life insurance for final expenses as much as the next guy and not accident policies to cover drive-by's:goofy: Believe it or not, but low income people also die from heart attacks, strokes, cancer etc. like Scagnt 83 said sell them a final expense.

Last edited:
Maybe it is... but I'm in California.

Until you meet with someone... you DON'T KNOW what their needs are and you DON'T KNOW what their budget is.

Let me tell you about a guy I was helping with a TINY 401k rollover (about $1k) at a credit union. (You help EVERYBODY at a credit union.) His name was Barry Franklin. He was just let go from a major electronic retailer and he was trying to get a limousine driver 'business' going.

His need wasn't "investment advice". I could tell. He needed some kind of insurance. And I knew he would need to cash out his 401k after he'd receive it. I just wish I had an insurance product available. My credit union B/D was HORRIBLE when it came to insurance. Our insurance IMO was only good with fixed annuities. I had no idea of all the products that were available.

And then THIS happened within 30 days of having helped him:

Officials identify Oxnard man who was fatally stabbed inside his home - VC-Star

Stabbing victim remembered; fund set up to help family - VC-Star

Franklin was the sole financial supporter of several family members, including one of his sisters and her daughter, and he often worked multiple jobs, said Cleland, who employed Franklin as a driver for Blackhawk Limousine Service in the months before he was killed.

Yeah... it's F$$$ up... but this stuff happens. I couldn't believe the guy I was helping was MURDERED. Maybe he was into something bad and taking bad loans from bad people... I don't know.

I met with someone else who had great concerns about his son. While I told him that insurance doesn't pay off if he's committing a felony, he wanted to know what his options were.

All of this was before I knew much about accident policies. Assurity has an accidental death policy that would've been PERFECT for either of these two people's needs... because it would be cheap and cover them for accidents... which is VIOLENT AND EXTERNAL to the body. A $250,000 accidental death policy would run about $20/month.

This is an F$$$ up world we live in... and I hope you are dealing with people who live in gated communities... but some people have other needs and final expense is more expensive than accidental death.

So, before you start telling ME about my ideas being F$$$ up... try to understand a few things about where I might be coming from, okay?

----------

BTW, I wouldn't recommend targeting this kind of demographic... but if you happened to be sitting with one, an accidental death policy may be an appropriate recommendation.

Last edited:
I make more money working only eighty hours a month only catering to people with money, than when I worked two hundred hours a month trying to work with everybody. Your time is precious, move on to prospects with money.

For some agents, this light bulb never comes on.

That is one f$$$ ked up comment about the drive-by's and other crud!!! Low income people need life insurance for final expenses as much as the next guy and not accident policies to cover drive-by's:goofy: Believe it or not, but low income people also die from heart attacks, strokes, cancer etc. like Scagnt 83 said sell them a final expense.

Yes but statistically they are not going to pay for the final expense policy, they may pay for the accidental plan though.

Sell them what they will buy.. Some coverage is better than none.

have been selling life insurance part-time for three years now
I feel like a failure at this point even though I know deep down it's not my fault. It really has me wanting to throw in the towel.

Honestly not sure if you are serious?

he other one got all upset when I told her her driving record was hurting our efforts. She told me that was just stupid even after I explained the risks of her behavior.
. I have been selling life insurance part-time for three years now and honestly the type of people I get take a long time to find an agency "fit"...

You cant see these are not the people looking for life ins? I mean life Ins is not a necessity it is a luxury, I highly doubt a low income mother of 6 spends any time thinking hey I need to get a life insurance policy, When she probably has a hard time getting clothes and food for her kids

If you are serious you should think about changing the type of prospect you are looking for

I am not sure why you are questioning my truthfulness but I won't take it personally. The young lady (28) approached me about insurance b/c her brother died unexpectedly in his sleep and the family had to cook hundreds of supper to pay for burial. She expressed fear over what would happen to her if she died and left behind small children. A $50,000 policy for an otherwise healthy young person wouldn't even be $20.00 a month plus her kids would get SOME SSI benefits so now I'm addressing the person claiming they can't afford insurance...YES they can. Clearly I just showed how plus the young lady lived in discount housing and received FS.

Maybe it is... but I'm in California.

Until you meet with someone... you DON'T KNOW what their needs are and you DON'T KNOW what their budget is.
Assurity has an accidental death policy that would've been PERFECT for either of these two people's needs... because it would be cheap and cover them for accidents... which is VIOLENT AND EXTERNAL to the body. A $250,000 accidental death policy would run about $20/month.

----------

BTW, I wouldn't recommend targeting this kind of demographic... but if you happened to be sitting with one, an accidental death policy may be an appropriate recommendation.

This is good information. Was he able to get a policy before his death?

Back