AARP Increases Membership Dues

Personally, I think it is terrific that you can get great discounts from AARP. My problem with them is they endorse products (particularly life inusrance) that are really bad for the uninformed consumer.

I ran up against one of their bids a couple of years back when I was working for a debit company, Union National. Union National life insurance rates are not cheap, especially considering they build in the debit agent cost into the policy and it is whole life. This lady was about 67 years old, non smoker and in the picture of health. She showed me the brochure from AARP's insurance company. It was for term and the price was not much less than my whole life quote.

Here was the kicker. First of all it would surpass my locked in price in just a few years. Then I asked her, "Ma'am, do people live long in your family?" Her answer was in the affirmative. I then informed her that at age 80 (as has been mentioned in a previous post) her insurance company would be kind enough to terminate her coverage completely. Needless to say she bought my policy. I was not impressed with their "endorsement.":nah:

Personally, I think it is terrific that you can get great discounts from AARP. My problem with them is they endorse products (particularly life inusrance) that are really bad for the uninformed consumer.

I ran up against one of their bids a couple of years back when I was working for a debit company, Union National. Union National life insurance rates are not cheap, especially considering they build in the debit agent cost into the policy and it is whole life. This lady was about 67 years old, non smoker and in the picture of health. She showed me the brochure from AARP's insurance company. It was for term and the price was not much less than my whole life quote.

Here was the kicker. First of all it would surpass my locked in price in just a few years. Then I asked her, "Ma'am, do people live long in your family?" Her answer was in the affirmative. I then informed her that at age 80 (as has been mentioned in a previous post) her insurance company would be kind enough to terminate her coverage completely. Needless to say she bought my policy. I was not impressed with their "endorsement.":nah:

Term insurance at age 67 won't be much cheaper than whole life. If the term policy had conversion privileges she could have converted at some point.

Oh yeah...got another offer for AARP membership in the mail yesterday at the new annual $16 price.

FYI @ the $16/yr AARP membership dues. You only need to have active membership to enroll in an AARP/UnitedHealthCare med supp.
You can let it lapse once enrolled.
I joined AARP when I turn 50, 8 years ago.
I love the hotel & rental car discounts.
And yes, I know AARP sleeps with the black jesus.

FYI @ the $16/yr AARP membership dues. You only need to have active membership to enroll in an AARP/UnitedHealthCare med supp.
You can let it lapse once enrolled.
I joined AARP when I turn 50, 8 years ago.
And yes, I know AARP sleeps with the black jesus.

Is Jesus black?

Triple A gives the same discounts but they don't hound you with high Life Insurance quotes and high auto insurance quotes.

and yes....... I was once a member. I'm now saving the extra $16 per year to put towards my upcoming donut hole.

Triple A gives the same discounts but they don't hound you with high Life Insurance quotes and high auto insurance quotes.

If you are a member of AARP, and, like me, were fed up with are the marketing propaganda, you can call AARP and have them stop the marketing mail.
Then, all you rec is the mag and the yearly bill for $16.

Back