AARP Medicare Supplement

Wait, I'm confused. In the YouTube video posted by healthagent about the AARP town hall, the AARP rep said that insurance companies make money by denying healthcare, thus implying insurance companies are evil.

Yet, here is AARP selling their name to an insurance company for a Med Sup and Life Insurance. Surely AARP can't be in bed with evil insurance companies?

Seems like AARP is as busy talking out of both sides of their mouth and as full as it as the politicians in Washington. How can anyone take them serious, or sell one of their Med Sups?

Client has Med Supp Plan F, Doctor does not accept assignment.

If Dr asks for payment at the time of the visit, the insured pays the Dr, then waits to be re-imbursed by Medicare & Ins Co. Correct so far?

How can the insured be sure the Dr is not overcharging, since they are paying at the time of the visit.

Client has Med Supp Plan F, Doctor does not accept assignment.

If Dr asks for payment at the time of the visit, the insured pays the Dr, then waits to be re-imbursed by Medicare & Ins Co. Correct so far?

How can the insured be sure the Dr is not overcharging, since they are paying at the time of the visit.

My first recommendation would be for the client to get a new doctor. It is so unusual for a doctor to require payment at the time of the visit your client should be suspicious.

There is no way that your client is going to know, when they pay the doctor, if the charges are correct. He/she won't know until they receive the checks from both Medicare and the insurance company.

If the total of the two checks do not equal the amount paid to the doctor at the time of the visit then your client is getting ripped off and should demand the extra money paid to the doctor.

If a Dr does not accept assignment, does the Dr. still typically submit the claim through Medicare and the Ins. Co?

Regardless of whether or not the doctor accepts assignment, the doctor has to submit the claim to Medicare. The doctor never communicates with the insurance company. Insurance companies never pay claims based on information they receive from the doctor.

When Medicare receives the claim, Medicare automatically forwards the claim to the insurance company. If Medicare has approved the claim the insurance company almost automatically pays their portion.

The difference is the way the doctor gets for that claim. If the doctor accepts assignment both Medicare and the Insurance Company send the checks directly to the doctor.

If the doctor does not accept assignment then both Medicare and the Insurance Company both send the checks to the doctors patient. Now the doctor has to be concerned about getting his/her money.

Frank, so a Dr. who does not accept Medicare assignment, are they still required to submit claims through Medicare?

Can't they also be a cash only physician with their Medicare patients?

Frank, so a Dr. who does not accept Medicare assignment, are they still required to submit claims through Medicare?

Can't they also be a cash only physician with their Medicare patients?

If a person is on Medicare all claims must go to Medicare.

I guess the senior can go to a doctor and pay for the services in cash and request that the doctor not send the claim to Medicare. I don't know why any Medicare patient would do that though. I don't see any benefit to the senior.

Maybe I didn't understand exactly what you were asking.

A client (plan f) of mine wants to see a neurologist because of her Parkinsons. This Doc has been highly recommended by her neighbor who also has Parkinsons. My client has scheduled an appt for next week. The office said be prepared to pay $460 at the time of the visit.

I'm going to call the doctors office today, but it sounds like the office is a "cash only" office.

I'll find out later.

Back