Advice about going Independent

Yes. But I was very careful doing this, esp in the begining. In fact in the begining the number insurance product that I ended up selling was something that was not even on my radar when I started.

Yep. That strategy likely is going to work better for a SF guy than a Indy for reasons that are not easy to explain.

Listen its tough to buy leads until you know what you edge or sweet spot is in this business. Its not at all clear to me that a purchased lead are any better than ten names out of a phone book.

I have known several agents that came into this business thinking that they could "hire people" to generate business and they would simply write it and collect the commission. The reality is that almost any lead that you do not generate from a referral, strategic partner, or your own website, is subpar. And its just a race to get to 50%/60% self generated leads in P&C, IMO.

Some guys like @Markthebroker and @Hawaii Agent and @Al3x Lee are nearing 90%.

Think of it as launching a fully loaded B52 from a short aircraft carrier.
Yup, self generated leads are the best. I only work by referral now.

Yup, self generated leads are the best. I only work by referral now.
Amen to that brother! I've even turned away referral sources that want to put my name in with others when they refer. I started to ask prospects if they've spoken with an independent agent to get a quote and refusing to quote if they have. I'm too busy to worry about competing with other independents. I'd rather be reading the insurance forums

Hi, Special Agent Elliot Becker here,

I read that 90% of commercial p&c agents fail in their first 3 years. The rest of them are just lucky.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail, and those who skip step 1 and plan to fail sometimes get lucky and pull an uno double reverse card on life.

As for me? I'm tired boss. Tired of non-renewals... And underwriters declining risks.. I'm tired of my insureds thinking they're calling GEICO for a quote to save 15% in 15 mins or less, but most of all, I'm tired of the entitlement of the general public.

green-mile-im-tired-boss.gif

Tired regards,

Special Agent Elliot Becker

Hi, Special Agent Elliot Becker here,

I read that 90% of commercial p&c agents fail in their first 3 years. The rest of them are just lucky.

Those who fail to plan, plan to fail, and those who skip step 1 and plan to fail sometimes get lucky and pull an uno double reverse card on life.

As for me? I'm tired boss. Tired of non-renewals... And underwriters declining risks.. I'm tired of my insureds thinking they're calling GEICO for a quote to save 15% in 15 mins or less, but most of all, I'm tired of the entitlement of the general public.

View attachment 14136

Tired regards,

Special Agent Elliot Becker
You are a "special" agent?

1722901815164.png

That's not funny. I'm special, that guy has down syndrome. Don't be mad that I'm a Special Agent and you're just an agent. I know the jealous types when I see them

-Special Agent Elliot Becker
You're special and I'm just an agent?

Apparently you didn't notice my beautiful hair, nifty cape, or most of all, that I can, um, I dunno... That I can FLY???

Back