Advisor or Adviser?

Charpress

Guru
1000 Post Club
This is a bit silly, but has bothered me for a long time. Is advisor or adviser correct? Here is the best answer I've been able to find, but does it really answer the question?

---start quote---

According to most sources, both spellings are acceptable, but my Webster's doesn't have a separate listing for "advisor" (with an "o"), it is merely an alternate spelling of the listed word, "adviser" (with an "e").

Some fusspots insist that "advisor" is always incorrect, that some nincompoop mistakenly derived the spelling from "advisory." This may be true, but ignores that many institutions of higher learning — including Purdue University — have adopted “advisor” as an official title.

As with all words that have alternate spellings, consistency is the key. You can't refer to an “adviser” in one part of a document and an “advisor” in another. That's why, for example, the Associated Press prohibits “advisor.”

But we are a Purdue institution and the Purdue Marketing Communications Editorial Style Guide says we should use "advisor."
So the simple answer: if you're writing for Purdue Extension, use “advisor,” not “adviser.”

Of course the biggest error I see is the confusion between "advise" and "advice".... too many people can't get it straight. One gets "advice" from an advisor/adviser, and gives "advice" to others. I would "advise" you to note how "advise" is used... when caution is merited from that advice.:twitchy: One uses "advise" as a verb, and "advice" as a noun.

I personally think "advisor" connotates a professional, whereas "adviser" seems to imply a "jack of all trades". :GEEK:

Last edited:
Something tells me it has to a lot do with the difference between Realtor and realter.

Something tells me it has to a lot do with the difference between Realtor and realter.

According to those two guys, Merriam and Webster, either spelling is acceptable; however, I believe only members of the National Association of realtors are permitted to use the designation "Realtor." Some of recent newbys who were in the real estate business will be along to either confirm this or correct me.

According to those two guys, Merriam and Webster, either spelling is acceptable; however, I believe only members of the National Association of realtors are permitted to use the designation "Realtor." Some of recent newbys who were in the real estate business will be along to either confirm this or correct me.

Exactly my point, NAR has trademarked Realtor, so only its members may call themselves such.

I wonder if advisor has similar roots.

One of the big FMOs has gone with the name Advisors Excel rather than Advisers Excel

One reason I brought this up is that Google always flags "advisor" as misspelled. "Advisor" is actually the way I would probably prefer to spell it.

Lots of ins and out here. On my Website, should it be "The world's finest and greatest financial advisor" or "financial adviser"? Which one are people searching for? I think this warrants a little Google key word analysis. Some sites deliberately misspell a key word or two in subtle places to get some extra hits. Like I said, lots of ins and outs here.

Back