Aetna Formulary for RX

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Anyone know how to get Aetna's formulary?

I have a client that wants to switch from a Humana Total Plus HSA to the Aetna $10,000 copay plan that does not cover non-preferred brand Rx. In my opinion, the $100/mo savings isn't worth the risk if something major happens. I want to show him the limited number of meds on the preferred list and the price of some commonly used meds (mostly for cancer) that are not on the list.

Re: Aetna Rx Formulary

Since you must have already searched their website or called them, I would assume it isn't available.

Your client may be making a wise decision - more self-insuring. Retaining more of the risk. It could be a cash flow situation where now is more important than a future maybe.

Thx, Paul.

I poked all around their site (which is always frustrating) and couldn't find it. Even with that link I still don't know if it is closed or open formulary and it doesn't want to let me view non-Medicare plans.

I poked all around their site (which is always frustrating) and couldn't find it. Even with that link I still don't know if it is closed or open formulary and it doesn't want to let me view non-Medicare plans.

Aetna's IT stuff is absolutely gawd-awful. Nothing like making it simple and user friendly.

They ought to hire Seth Grodin (not that he'd do it) for about six months...

I will call them tomorrow and see if they will cough it up. They probably hired programmers who designed Windows.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Found out how to download the list. Quite extensive (88 pgs).

Notably absent are meds like Erbitux, Avastin (colon cancer meds) and Herceptin (breast cancer).

Herceptin runs $36k per year, Avastin $50k and Erbitux is $120k.

Can't imagine why these are not on their preferred list.

Last edited:
Back