Agency Owner’s, Question?

Oct 10, 2008

1. Apex0177

Apex0177 New Member

I’m in the process of negotiating my compensation package for 2009 and I don’t think my agency’s first proposal is very fair. I’m looking to see what other agency owners out there think would be a FAIR compensation package?

Additional Info:

- I work out of my house
    - The agency covers travel expenses they have been running between $12,000 and $14,000 per year
    - They provide benefits, Life Health, DI and I’m in an ESOP plan.
    - They don’t cover any utilities, internet, office furniture, ect.
    - I have support staff that does my marketing and apps.
    - I write all of my business in the trucking industry

My current book of business is $1,500,000 in premium and $220,000 in agency revenue.

Please let me know what you think would be a FAIR comp package. Thank You

Apex0177, Oct 10, 2008
  2. saieddie

saieddie Guru

State:
    Virginia
    $10/hr and all the spam you can eat.

saieddie, Oct 10, 2008
  3. Apex0177

Apex0177 New Member

Since I’m in sales I’m working 24 hours a day 7 days a week so that’s what 8,760 hours @ $10 per hour $87,600 per year. Since I’m writing about $125,000 in new business each year and I don’t like spam, I’m going to have to pass.

Any real advice out there?

Apex0177, Oct 13, 2008
  4. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Guru

Good advice is always difficult to find. I'll try.

You say their offer isn't fair so counter-offer with what you think is fair and negotiate. You better have some good evidence to prove your offer.

5. Apex0177

Apex0177 New Member

I came from the stock broker world where got 40-50% of revenue generated depending on the size of your book and had plenty of support. I thought that was fair. With the offer I currently have 30% on new business and 20% on renewal, I can’t help but think A) this isn’t very fair. I’m giving up an additional 10% on renewals and with audits and so forth I’m spending more time on renewals than new business. B) Why not just go independent?

Apex0177, Oct 14, 2008
  6. saieddie

saieddie Guru

State:
    Virginia
    If the only thing you have to pay for is the stuff in your house - 50% new business, 40% renewal seems to be the going rate. If you work 365/24hrs a day, they should also pay for your cocaine.

saieddie, Oct 14, 2008
  7. Deep South Broker

Deep South Broker New Member

You seem to be a very valuable employee. I think you are in the driver's seat, much like a client who has been hit by an at fault, insured driver.

I presently pay people in your posistion a salary based on what you do. For example, if you do all the work, ie filing, renewal processing, etc and bear the sales expense as well, I would pay what ever you wanted in a draw salary and split the agency profits at the 50% level.

For example, I would pay you $ 10.00 and hour for a 40 hour work week, if you wanted to make say $ 1250.00 a week, I would call $ 400.00 a week salary and $ 850.00 a week draw. $ 400.00 for teh clerical and a direct expense, $ 850.00 would go against your share of the agency profit.

for example $ 220,000 revenue, $ 26,400 a month, expenses would run around 10 to 15 a month leaving 11,400 profit you would draw around $ 2500.00 leaving you a net monthly bonus/profit in the 2700.00 a month.

We would pay your rent and otehr expenses out of teh reneue. With a book like this you would be a very valuable assett and we would work out a package that would carry you into retirement and or disablity. Instead of insruance, I would rather see you on a permanent renewal compensation that would exisist as long as your business was renewing.