Agency owner is a bully

RobertAAA

Hi. My son has been working as a life insurance agent for about 2 years. He's in Maryland as is his agency. I think he's doing a very good job so far but I'm his father. But, he's selling and making good money. To get into this, he studied, got his licenses in 3 states including Maryland and has been selling ever since. It's a hell of alot of cold calling and long hours but he loves it. He does really love his job and just wants to get better. He's a sponge and wants to learn everything. Here's the issue: The Agency owner is a real piece of work. He needles my son and a couple of others ever chance he gets. He also mistakenly assigned my son's sale/commission to another agent who rarely comes in and who most don't even know. This has happened more than once. There always seem to be delays on getting paid his commissions. On a few occasions, my son sold some good policies, let's say $1000 but when he got paid he got paid on $700 or $500.

My son loves his job. He works 7 days a week. But the owner gives him s@#t every chance he gets. My son and I talk about the possibilities of staying with the same insurer but switching to a different agency. He's afraid to bring this up because he'll get fired. So, he really has no one to ask if this would work or what his options might be. So I came in here and posted this.

Apologies ahead of time for not understanding the business and or not using the correct insurance speak. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Don't ask me why but my son absolutely loves his job, loves making numerous calls every day and closing once in a while. He just wants to work. It sounds ridiculous but I'm not embellishing, unfortunately.

Almost any legit agent that wants to work hard, makes cold calls, can close deals, and is fully licensed is a hot commity in this market.

I would advise him to document his success, both numerically and literally, finish up any professional courses he is taking and search for a new agency.

In addition, I would encourage him to sit down with his present employer and politely bring up the issues for resolution.

He also mistakenly assigned my son's sale/commission to another agent who rarely comes in and who most don't even know. This has happened more than once. There always seem to be delays on getting paid his commissions. On a few occasions, my son sold some good policies, let's say $1000 but when he got paid he got paid on $700 or $500.
This is a very tough profession starting out and to be successful, you do have to work your ass off.

That being said, the quoted portion above is unacceptable.

There can always be a mistake in compensation but this looks like a pattern.

Making money is a big motivator for most sales people. Not being paid accurately or at all is not only deflating to the employee, but implies a sloppily run business.

Whether or not he moves or has a discussion with the agency owner is up to him but not being paid accurately is a big problem.

I would encourage you to visit a pharmacy ASAP

If Destin does not work try Preparation H
WOW! I sent my children off to college and advocated for them while they were spending MY money. I helped, through contacts, one of my children to find her first serious job but the decision to hire her was between her and the county HR. I would not get involved with their employment or wages since they are out on their own. This young man might not be series qualified so he gets a share of a policy he started the contact with. Dad dies not know what goes on behind agency doors and JR might not either. He may only be getting a share if the business he writes because of his contract or the agency/carrier guidelines. Allstate and other carriers do not allow the producers to get full compensation from Life business. Jr may be getting a salary plus commission with quotas to reach.
So, Winoblues and Whatyouwant, maybe you visit the pharmacy and see if you can get a script for chillpills

WOW! I sent my children off to college and advocated for them while they were spending MY money. I helped, through contacts, one of my children to find her first serious job but the decision to hire her was between her and the county HR. I would not get involved with their employment or wages since they are out on their own. This young man might not be series qualified so he gets a share of a policy he started the contact with. Dad dies not know what goes on behind agency doors and JR might not either. He may only be getting a share if the business he writes because of his contract or the agency/carrier guidelines. Allstate and other carriers do not allow the producers to get full compensation from Life business. Jr may be getting a salary plus commission with quotas to reach.
So, Winoblues and Whatyouwant, maybe you visit the pharmacy and see if you can get a script for chillpills

This was not some crusty old agent or even some FNG asking the same questions over and over. It is a 'civilian' asking a question on an open forum. Unless you are privy to more info on this than I you seem to be making a lot of assumptions on product and contract.

Not enough to get our under roos knotted up about.

Why don't you just give me some of yours since you're not taking them anyway.

The guy isn't going in and yelling at his son's boss. His son came to him for advice so he's trying to find good answers to pass on. That's what good fathers do, whether their kids are 7 or 40.

Your kids probably don't ask you for advice because you act like this. Grow up.

I would encourage him to sit down with his father and tell dad to mind his own crap. When are you going to let him grow up?
He moved out of the house and got his own apartment at 18. He's 20 now, independent,p responsible, makes his own way through life and works his ass off. Perhaps you need to grow up a bit Jr.
To everyone else, big thanks, much appreciated. All that my son, who's just 20, wants is a reasonable chance to work and work hard without having to worry about what this guy is going to do next.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back