Agent’s Failure to Disclose Dog Comes Back to Bite Homeowner

Thanks, I suppose actually taking the time to read the article is helpful. :D
I have seen agents send signature pages only for docusign or even wet signature, meaning client never sees what they are agreeing to. At a time when carriers ask way more questions, it seems agents in a hurry doing business transactionally are pre-filling a ton of information from the online data they find on property, info from current dec sheet & even all the 3rd party data sources the carrier paid for in DMV, insurance scoring, CLUE records. Actually surprised this doesnt happen more often. Not saying this agent or staff did this, but entirely plausible the person preparing quote and/or app is clicking all the right answers to be able to get the application produced & "plan" to go through it more thoroughly with client later....................

I have seen agents send signature pages only for docusign ... Actually surprised this doesnt happen more often.

I suggest, particularly using esign, that all docs should always be included. Sometimes [new] clients call and ask why the signature package is 50 pages. Well, that's because CYA takes 50 pages.

Esign makes the process a lot more transparent and ultimately easier for all parties.

Thankfully most HO carriers in our area inspect new business so they will potentially catch if there is a dog on premise. That said, it should definitely be a question (among many others*) that is asked every time to every client.

*other important questions: 1) do you conduct any business out of your home, 2) do you rent any part of your home, structure on your property, or land to anyone ever either on a short or long term basis... and so many more. There are a lot of "newer" exposures out there that folks don't think about. They say "I can make an extra $100 hosting a wedding at my house, sure, no problem." Until someone is hurt and they are potentially screwed.

Use an annual survey that goes out automatically to clients and keep track if it's not completed each year. Should ask all these questions. There's an opportunity to upsell when you have the most accurate information. Not hard to make surveys accessible to everyone in this day & age.

Back